Thread: FIXED: GNE26GMDGES GE Refrigerator/Freezer starts to cool then stops after a few minutes

Default FIXED: GNE26GMDGES GE Refrigerator/Freezer starts to cool then stops after a few minutes

Model Number: GNE26GMD
    Brand: GE

GNE26GMDGES GE Slate French Door Refrigerator/Freezer starts to cool then stops after a few minutes

I have a GE Slate French Door Refrigerator that has the bottom drawer freezer. It does not have the water dispenser so the freezer and fridge controls are on the side of the left had door. The lights don't work, the control panel on the door will not work, and the refrigerator will not cool.

The freezer seems to be working or at least everything is still frozen. When the unit is unplugged it and then plugged back in it will seem like the compressor and fans want to start but after a few minutes the entire thing will shut down. The light won't come on and the fan in the back at the bottom where the compressor is will stop.

The evaporator fan in the refrigerator compartment will continue to run as well as another fan somewhere in the refrigerator, I assume it is a condenser fan or another evaporator fan but I'm not sure. That fan seems to be fine. On the electronic panel on the back, there is a green light that will come on when it is plugged up.

The fans will run and then it sounds like something in the electronic panel will click and the fan stops and the lights quit working and the control panel will shut off.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I can in usually figure out most issues but this refrigerator is more technical then any other one I have worked on.

Hi David,

I believe GE has a service bulletin on this problem, I'm checking with our other tech. bigbuck to confirm that.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake,

Any assistance would be awesome. I appreciate the help.

David

It maybe possible this service bulletin is related you your problem. But hard to say. I can give you that bulletin and the service mini manual. Maybe disconnect Fresh food fan from mother board and see if the displays comes back to life.

That being said sounds like you say its running but it maybe loading down the DC circuit that can happen with any DC circuit load meaning any motor.

Also found this old thread: https://www.applianceblog.com/mainfo...warm-same-time
    Last edited by bigbuck; June 15th, 2018 at 07:35 AM.

Thanks bigbuck!

This is the part that they said to replace in that service bulletin: --->WR60X29099

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thanks guys. That service bulletin helped. I had about 6 of the 9 symptoms it listed. I unplugged the fresh food fan from the motherboard and everything worked for about 6 hrs. So I think that must be the problem. I have the fridge unplugged now as I donít know if it would cause any damage with out the fresh food fan and with it not plugged in it is not blowing cold air through the top part of the fridge. I have one ordered and will update this post when I get it installed.

Yes, I would agree with you David.

Yes, Please Let us know how it goes when you get it replaced.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Finally, after almost a month of being on back order from the factory the Fresh Food fan came in. Installed it on Wednesday, 7/11/18, and as of now it seems to have fixed the issue. Refrigerator is cold and freezer is freezing. Even though the Fresh Food Fan was running is looks like Bigbuck may have been correct in that something was wrong with the fan and it was overloading the DC circuit. I appreciate the help.

Excellent David, glad to hear that.

Thanks for the update!

Thanks again bigbuck!

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts