• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

665.12769K311 Kenmore Elite Dishwasher - Stops and drains mid-cycle

AVance

Premium Member
Model Number
665.12769K311
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My dishwasher stops mid-cycle. It doesn't matter what cycle it is on. Sometimes it runs for 5 minutes, sometimes 35 minutes. There is never water left in the tub, so I assume that it drains at some point before stopping. There are no lights or noise when it stops, and I can start up a new cycle afterwards (with similar results). I ran the diagnostic at several points and got these codes:
  • 8-4: Drain Motor Electrical problem
  • 8-1: Slow Drain
  • 9-1: Diverter Can't Find Position
  • 3-2: OWI Shorted
  • 6-6: Inlet Water - Cool Water
I pulled it out and looked at the drain pump; no blockage in the pump or the hoses. I have a hard time believing there is something wrong with the drain, however, since there is never water left in the tub. What should I be looking at next? Are there always multiple codes given at the same time? Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very odd your getting all those error codes, especially the drain motor like you mentioned, since its draining good.

I'd first disconnect power to the dishwasher, then remove the control board and remove the plastic casing around the control board and see if you notice any burnt components or burnt capacitors on it causing this issue.

Here's the control board for your model:
W10866118 Cntrl-Elec

This video should give you the general idea of how to access the control board:

Jake

AVance

Premium Member
Thanks for the response. There isn’t any visible damage or discoloration to the control board. I assume that still doesn’t rule out the control board as the issue, right? Thoughts on where I can look next?

E28B6279-57AB-4EE9-A079-A6EB80E155E9.jpeg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It does look discolored(darker in the middle) like something spilled on it, and that chip (above the capacitor) looks burnt on top.

I'm attaching the tech. data sheet below. Lets first ohm test the OWI soil sensor.

To verify the OWI soil sensor is bad, you can ohm test it with a multimeter. It should measure 48K to 52K ohms at room temperature about 77*F.

At the control board, Remove connector P12--->pins 2 and 3 is where you put your meter leads at the electrical connector wire harness that you just removed.

Here's the OWI for your model you can order if yours tests bad:
Turbidity Sensor WPW10705575

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10543820 - Rev B.pdf
    1,019.9 KB · Views: 27