FIXED 665.12782K311 not cleaning, making clicking sound, and leaking

Fatblond

Premium Member
Model Number
665.12782K311
Brand
Sears Kenmore
So I have a Kenmore Elite dishwasher model 665.12782K311 which is acting up. Recently it has started not cleaning dishes very well if at all. The upper and lower arms don't appear to be spinning. I checked both filters and they appeared fairly clean though the water in the reservoir was sitting fairly high above the thermostat sensor. I cleaned out the outlet valve at sink and verified it was unobstructed and cycled the washer. That dropped the water level below the sensor. I also took out the arms and turbozone piping and nothing changed.

However the dishes still weren't getting clean and I noticed a clicking sound coming from the base of the washer. I took off the foot plate and looked inside. There was insulation which I pulled out soaked. The floor under the washer was also completely soaked.

When I cycled the wash I can see drips from the center pump assembly and the clicking appears louder. The clicking seems to increase in frequency and then fade out over and over again. I took a video if helpful. I also like an idiot tried see if I could feel where the clicking was coming from and shocked myself. Doh!

So I guess I am trying to figure out what the problem is. The circulation pump? Would that explain the leaking? A busted seal somewhere?

If helpful we already had the faulty smart dry fan replaced and control board and also had mice behind the washer recently though they are gone now. 😉

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

You'll need to pinpoint exactly where that water leak is coming from, most common is the sump seal that starts leaking where your diverter motor is located. Make sure its not leaking from your drain pump. Your drain pump is located right behind that black elbow in your video.

If its leaking from the diverter motor behind the drain pump, You'd need to order the sump assembly, it comes with the seal already installed in it for you.

Here's the sump assembly for your model you can order:
WPW10455268 Sump

For the not washing problem its either a bad door vent or bad wash motor.

Disconnect all the wire connectors to your door vent and see if it runs through a complete cycle.

Start reading what bigbuck said at post#18 here: FIXED: KUDE60HXSS5 KitchenAid Dishwasher Fills but then Shuts off

Your model uses the exact same door vent.

Here it is for your model:
WPW10469574 Vent

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Fatblond

Premium Member
So I checked out the dishwasher and determined the leak is definitely coming down over the diverter motor. It’ll drip and then stream sporadically. I verified the diverter and tubing were all properly placed and the drain pump is fine. So I guess I need a new sump assembly.

I think I misspoke that the dishwasher won't wash. It is washing and will complete the cycle with the green light indicating the wash is complete. I think I meant it won't clean well if at all. I did some additional sleuthing and I am pretty sure the bottom arm is moving and the ceiling arm is too. Still not sure of the center arm. I know when the fan went bad last time it would stop in the middle of a cycle.

I will try the suggested process.

You mentioned bad wash motor. Did you mean circulation pump?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Yes, its either a bad bad diverter motor or wash motor aka circulation motor. Check for 120 volts at the wash motor and diverter motor when they should be running.

Here's the diverter motor for your model:
W10537869 Motor

Here's the wash motor for your model:
W11113839 Wash Motor

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Fatblond

Premium Member
Long time no response. I ended up replacing the rubber gasket over the diverter motor and that stopped the leak. Worked fine for a while.

Of course now the dishes aren't getting clean. I have tried just about everything but replacing the circulation motor/pump and diverter motor. So I am going to replace the pump and see how it goes.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, let us know how it goes.:)

Jake

Fatblond

Premium Member
So I replaced the pump but the dishes still didn't get clean. I tried cleaning everything, using vinegar and baking soda, the filters, checking the houses, etc. While doing this, I left off the kick plate though to make sure there were no leaks. While off I heard a crescendoing and decrescendoing click. I looked around and felt the diverter was the cause. I replaced that and so far so good. I guess the initial leak damaged the diverter motor but it didn't fail until recently.

The wonder of clean dishes! Wahoo.

Thanks for the help!👍