665.12783K310 start button not responsive / test cycle help

gonzo

Premium Member
Model Number
665.12783K310
Brand
Sears Kenmore
All the buttons on the control panel are responsive to touch. The start button will not illuminate or make a sound when touched when trying to start a load.

When I enter it into service mode using the 123 123 123 button sequence it gives a recent error code of F8 E1.

It then goes into the function testing as indicated by the sanitize light being on for 10 seconds.

There are a couple times during the test that the Completed light will come on steady for at least 30 seconds.

After about 10 minutes the Completed light comes on steady for a few seconds followed by a long beep.

At this point, 2 lights remain illuminated on the control panel and there is still a hum coming from the machine -- I'm assuming it's still testing.

By the 24 minute mark after starting the diagnostic cycle, the machine is still in the same state (2 lights on ctrl panel, hum from machine). The guidance I see says it takes approx. 24 minutes to complete the test. It goes into this state well before the 24 minutes but remains this way well past 30 minutes. I'm not sure if it finished the diagnostics early or it's still testing. I haven't seen an end test diagnostic code.

Questions:

1. Is there a signal the machine gives to let you know its finished with the test cycle? How long should I wait?

2. Would F8 E1, the draining/drain pump cause the start button to not be selectable?

3. Would there any other reasons I can't start a wash cycle?

4. If I open the machine during a diagnostic test, does it quit the test or just pause it until the door is closed again?

Note: I'm not sure of the exact age of the machine. It is at least 4 years old but not likely more than 7 years old.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
There has been a problem with the door vent assembly that can cause this problem, our other tech bigbuck brought it to our attention.

Disconnect all the wire connectors to your door vent and see if it runs through a diagnostic cycle and ends like it should at about the 24 minute mark and also see if your start button starts working again.

Start reading what bigbuck said at post#18 here: FIXED: KUDE60HXSS5 KitchenAid Dishwasher Fills but then Shuts off

Your model uses the exact same door vent. If it runs through a complete cycle and everything is back to normal, then order and replace the door vent assembly.

Here it is for your model you can order:
WPW10469574 Vent

To access the vent assembly you will need a T-15 torx screwdriver: Remove 4 screws (long) across top of door, then remove 10 screws (short) on the sides, then the outer door panel pulls off.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

gonzo

Premium Member
I disconnected the vent assembly. The test cycle ran longer, approximately 16 minutes this time. However the water main in the street broke when I was in the middle of all this so there's no water.

The start button still does not work.

This time it gave the error codes 6-1 and 10-3. Vent fan and no water, which is expected.

Thanks,

Sean

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
However the water main in the street broke
Ok Sean, try it again when the water returns.

Ok, then the problem is a shorted start key on your keypad, you'll need to replace the control panel keypad assembly.

Here's the BLACK control panel keypad assembly for your model:
WPW10481070 Panel-Cntl

Here's the ANY OTHER COLOR BESIDES BLACK control panel keypad assembly for your model:

Jake

gonzo

Premium Member
Thanks Jake! Do I still need to order the vent?

Sean

Ok Sean, try it again when the water returns.

Ok, then the problem is a shorted start key on your keypad, you'll need to replace the control panel keypad assembly.

Here's the BLACK control panel keypad assembly for your model:
WPW10481070 Panel-Cntl

Here's the ANY OTHER COLOR BESIDES BLACK control panel keypad assembly for your model:

Jake

gonzo

Premium Member
Water finally came back on. Started a test (vent is still disconnected). While I was starting the test I noticed the start button was working.... strange.

gonzo

Premium Member
Hooked the vent back up and ran the test. The test ran for approx 15 minutes with no error messages (except the initial one at the beginning of the test of 8-1). The start button seems to be working ok now too.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, that is quite weird that the start button started working again.

The diagnostics should run about 22 to 24 minutes, did you run the diagnostics with the vent disconnected too?

Jkae

gonzo

Premium Member
Yes, when the water came on I hooked up the vent and ran it. Then I connected the vent and ran it again. Both times it ran for approx 16 minutes. When it finished with the vent disconnected it gave the vent error code, when everything was hooked up it gave no error codes but a long beep at the end. I am assuming that is the signal when its done with no error codes to show.

I am guessing that the control panel is intermittently short/open and that's why it is working again (for now). Maybe all the disassembly/reassembly jostled it just right? I'll see what happens over the next few days.

Sean

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's possible, yes keep your eye on it for awhile to see if it goes south again.

Jake