• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 665.12783K312 Kenmore Dishwasher Cycle Not Completing, Diagnostic Mode Not Completing

hsegallis@gmail

Premium Member
Model Number
665.12783K312
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Kenmore dishwasher not completing any cycle. When I try quick rinse, it fills then starts the pump for 4 seconds then lights blink off then this repeats multiple times.

When I ran diagnostic mode, it showed Error code 6-2, fill valve. But the valve is operating and water fills at a rate of 3 cups in 10 seconds, which is the same as my water dispenser on my sink (so max rate available).

Fill solenoid measures 1400 ohms, not the 890 to 1090 ohms it is supposed to read, but not sure that is an issue.

I cleared error code, but diagnostic mode seems to stop at interval 20 and then everything turns off. Interval 20 is the fill test. I can hear the fill valve turn on very briefly before the diagnostic mode terminates. Is this how it's supposed to work, stopping at interval 20 if it doesn't like something with that test?

And I already swapped the controller.

Thanks,
-Greg

hsegallis@gmail

Premium Member
Found the problem! The 5V DC vent fan had failed and was overloading the 5V supply and bringing down the low voltage supply to the controller whenever the controller attempted to turn on the fan. This is why the lights went out and came back on repeatedly in the middle of the rinse cycle, as the controller would crash and then reset.

It also explains why the diagnostic mode ends prematurely as soon as it begins Interval 20 when it engages the DC fan for the first time.

Contrary to what the service manuals says, the DC Fan is energized by the controller in interval 20 fill test, as verified with a DMM.

When I unplugged the fan, the rinse cycle worked start to finish and the diagnostics mode continued on.

After removing the fan I cut the wires midway up to test current draw and was surprised that the wire was corroded well into the insulated part. The fan itself also has a partially exposed circuit board and it too was severely corroded. The fan was drawing over 1 A from a 5V supply and not turning at all (although freely turned by hand).

The design of the dishwasher is at fault for putting a fan that is not designed for a humid/wet environment directly in the flow of the vent that gets splashing and all kinds of steam and moisture on a regular basis.

-Greg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The design of the dishwasher is at fault for putting a fan that is not designed for a humid/wet environment directly in the flow of the vent that gets splashing and all kinds of steam and moisture on a regular basis.
Greg you are absolutely right about that!

This has been a problem for a few years, if you search part WPW10469574 in our search box above, you will see many threads on this issue.

Start reading what bigbuck said at post#18 here:

Your model uses the exact same door vent. If it runs through a complete cycle, WITH THE WIRES TO THE VENT DISCONNECTED, and everything is back to normal, then order and replace the door vent assembly.

Here it is for your model you can order:
WPW10469574 Vent

For others--->To access the vent assembly you will need a T-15 torx screwdriver: Remove 4 screws (long) across top of door, then remove 10 screws (short) on the sides, then the outer door panel pulls off.

Jake