665.12789K312 Kenmore Elite Not Responsive - Multiple Red Flashing LEDs

Parabellum

Premium Member
Model Number
665.12789K312
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Machine Info: Kenmore Elite Dishwasher, Model 665.12789K312, Stock No. 12789K, Type No 582-2. Part number on the control board itself is W10669042 Rev A and the part number on the control board's plastic housing is W10643059 Rev B, software W10747107DWS10.00. I noticed the screw holding down the plastic board cover was missing and I bought the machine second hand a while back so someone may have been in there before I got it.

Issue: Dishwasher ran overnight, dishes inside were all clean and dry so it seems to have completed the cycle. However, 6 red LEDs flash simultaneously in approximately one second intervals without any pauses and do so indefinitely. They are "2-4-8 Hr Delay" + "2 HR" + "4HR" + "8HR" + "CANCEL" and "LOCKED." The control panel does not respond to any inputs, including the commands to launch diagnostic mode. I have not seen this exact condition listed anywhere.

Troubleshooting so far: I removed power for one hour to no avail. All cables and connections to the control board have been checked for continuity and verified secure. No signs of corrosion anywhere. Based on the service manual, I checked for 13VDC across P12-2 (ground) and P9-6 and found it bouncing between 7 and 12VDC. Checked for 3.3VDC across P12-2 and P11-2 and found it bouncing between 0 and 0.5VDC. I noticed the fluctuations in the voltage are very closely timed to the flashing of the LEDs, though I am not sure if that is just coincidental.

Any help would be appreciated as we have a family and a lot of dishes! I do not mind replacing the board but want to be sure that is the root of the problem as it is expensive. Thanks.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
A blinking LED over one of the keys of the keypad (or sometimes a “dead” keypad/console) indicates one or more key switch lines are stuck or shorted on the control or the keypad. To determine if the control or keypad is faulty, do the following test:

Unplug dishwasher or disconnect power Open the dishwasher door. Open console and disconnect the keypad ribbon connection from the control (at P1). Make sure all other connections are made. Put console back together. Do not close the dishwasher door. Plug in dishwasher or reconnect power. Wait 7 seconds. Close dishwasher door. Monitor the control’s response.

➔If the control is OK (no longer sees shorts with the keypad unplugged), it will respond by turning on the drain motor for 2 minutes. Check and/or replace the keypad if the control responds OK.

➔If the control is not OK (still sees shorts with the keypad unplugged), then the drain motor will NOT respond. If drain motor does not start within 10 seconds, repeat or verify that all steps were followed, and then replace the control.

WPW10481070 Panel-Cntl
whirlpool-crown-asm-ken-wpw10481070-ap6022104_05_m.jpg

W10866118 Cntrl-Elec
whirlpool-cntrl-elec-w10866118-ap6027291_01_m.jpg

Parabellum

Premium Member
Thanks the reply. I tried the P1 disconnect and the machine did nothing. I will replace the control, though I am concerned the one you linked to has a different part number and the cross reference does not list the one I have. Are you confident that one will work?

rickgburton

Staff member
Anytime! After you install the new control, run the service diagnostics.

Parabellum

Premium Member
I received the control board and installed it. Unfortunately, it did not fix the issue. The machine ran for a minute after I powered it back up, and the lights are no longer blinking red, but the touchpad is still completely unresponsive. I plan to try to replace the panel next. Would you agree?

rickgburton

Staff member
Check the connector first. Check for any pinched wires or loose wires. It would be rare to have both fail at the same time. Also check the door switch and door strike.

Parabellum

Premium Member
The cable looks perfect. The pins are quite small, though, and the probes on my meter are too thick to easily check continuity across each wire. I have a set with fine points somewhere. Will check the door latch as well, I have not looked at that yet. Thank you for your continued support.