• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

665.12793K311 Kenmore Dishwasher - What does the Spray Arm Sensor do?

Andy_M

Premium Member
Model Number
665.12793K311
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I'm hoping this forum has all the answers!

I have a Kenmore Elite Dishwasher Model 665.12793K311 - about 5 years old I would guess. The lower spray arm no longer rotates. It has a powered lower spray arm. The diverter still works just fine. With a Go Pro camera in the dishwasher, I can see the upper spray arm activate, and then it switches to the lower spray arm as it should, just the motorized spray arm doesn't turn. The smaller water-powered lower spray arm still works fine, but not the large powered one.

I've narrowed the problem down to a couple different possible parts. I think the diverter motor assembly Part # W10843811 also has the motor for the spray arm. Looks like it's one assembly from the service manual. Seems odd that the diverter would still work, but not the spray arm motor if they are the same part. In the service manual, it also looks like it's two different diverter assemblies depending on if there is a powered spray arm or not. However, I can only find one diverter assembly part for that model.

I have a diverter motor assembly on order.

There's also a lower spray arm sensor, Part # W10380483, that might be causing the issue. However, the service manual doesn't really say what it's sensing. It it sensing the position of the spray arm? Or just sensing when the spray arm swings past it to determine if the spray arm is blocked?

Since the sensor is pretty inexpensive, I've got that on order as well. I figured I'd might as well replace both parts since I have to go through the work to tear the thing apart.

Anything else I'm not thinking of that might be the cause? I suppose the main control board, but since everything else is working fine, that possibility seems remote.

Also - I can't seem to get the thing to run the diagnostic cycle. Per the tech sheet -

Entry sequence: Press START to wake up control panel and then press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses.

I've tried this about 100 times to no avail...

Thanks in advance for the help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This model has that troublesome vent thats been a major issue and shorts out and will cause it NOT to go completely through the diagnostics or complete wash cycle.:)

Disconnect all the wire connectors to your door vent and see if it runs through the diagnostics cycle.

Start reading what bigbuck said at post#18 here: FIXED: KUDE60HXSS5 KitchenAid Dishwasher Fills but then Shuts off

Your model uses the exact same door vent. If it runs through the diagnostics cycle, and complete cycle and everything is back to normal, then order and replace the door vent assembly.

Here it is for your model you can order:
WPW10469574 Vent

To access the vent assembly you will need a T-15 torx screwdriver: Remove 4 screws (long) across top of door, then remove 10 screws (short) on the sides, then the outer door panel pulls off.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Andy_M

Premium Member
OK - I figured out I was pressing the keys wrong to get it to run the diagnostic cycle. I was pressing three different keys, in sequence, just not the correct sequence. A quick YouTube search helped me there. I was pressing the first key three times, then the next key three times, then the third key three times. Duh...

Here's the link in case anyone else is as confused as I was ->

IMG_5813.jpeg

There's the error code! F9E4 - Lower Spray Arm Error

Here's what the service manual suggests:
1. CHECK FOR AND REMOVE ANY BLOCKAGE OF LOWER SPRAY ARM (UTENSILS, POT HANDLES).
2. RUN THE SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC CYCLE AND CHECK FOR THE LSA OPERATION/FAULT DETECTION (NOTE 10). IF FAILURE STILL EXISTS THEN:
3. DISCONNECT POWER FROM THE UNIT AND CHECK WIRING CONNECTION OR DAMAGE AT CONTROLLED LOWER SPRAY ARM MOTOR AND SENSOR.
4. CHECK “TRIAC FUSE DIAGNOSTIC” NEAR “METER CHECK OF LOADS” ON PAGE 1 (REPLACE CONTROL IF OPEN). 5. CHECK FOR OPEN OR SHORTED LSA MOTOR WINDING RESISTANCE. (REPLACE DIVERTER MODULE).
I cleared the error code and I'm now running a second diagnostic cycle to see if that changes anything.

I'll post an update when that finishes.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
LSA(Lower Spray Arm) Sensor--->The manufacturer has replaced part number W10380483 with part number W11126005

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below, this is what F9E4 says:
1. Check for and remove any blockage of lower spray arm (utensils, pot handles, etc.).
2. Run the Service Diagnostic cycle and check for the LSA operation/fault detection (Note 10). If failure still exists, then:
3. Disconnect power from the unit and check wiring connection for damage at controlled lower spray arm motor and sensor.
4. Check “Triac Fuse Diagnostic” near “Meter Check of Loads” (replace control if open).
5. Check for open or shorted LSA motor winding resistance (replace diverter module).
6. If LSA motor circuit and wiring connections check good, and spray arm rotates, replace LSA sensor.
7. Run the Service Diagnostics cycle again to confirm error-free operation.

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10543820 - Rev B.pdf
    1,019.9 KB · Views: 91

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
From other members its more common for the diverter motor to be the issue for this problem you are having.

Look here:
Your Kenmore 665 is made by KitchenAid.

Your model uses that exact same diverter motor:
Diverter Motor W10843811

Jake

Andy_M

Premium Member
Thanks for the help, @Jake!

Quick update on the second diagnostic cycle after clearing the code. Interestingly, it ran the entire diagnostic cycle and didn't report the error at the end. I thought I might get lucky and that was the fix, but I used the old GoPro and saw the same problem. Perhaps that specific error code needs to occur a few times for the error to actually register? Just speculating - I don't really know.

I have the diverter motor and LSA sensor on order. I'm a bit more confident the problem will be fixed once both parts are replaced.

After I get the new parts installed, I'll post an update to let everyone know how it went and if it actually fixes the problem.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Andy, sounds good. Yes, keep us posted.

Jake