FIXED 665.12793K311 Kenmore Elite Dishwasher F2 E2 service code

Retired JohnB

Premium Member
Model Number
665.12793K311
Brand
Sears Kenmore
This morning the dishwasher completed it's cycle, the Cycle Complete message appeared in the display. Wife opened the door to lock the touchpad and start unloading. The dishes were clean but the key pad had no response on any key. There may have been a blue light on some item on the touchpad, do not recall what it was. Seeing the touchpad was acting like it was froze up, I powered down the breaker, waited a few moments, powered up and the F2 E2 code was showing in the display and will not go away regardless of repowering up several times. No keypad response on any key.

Following the tech sheet no W10543820B, Function code 2 and Problem code 2 comes up with this:

Function Code 2: User Interface
Problem Code 2: No response from UI

Causes: (1) User interface cannot communicate with main control. Loose user interface connection.

What to check: (1)
1. Unplug dishwasher or disconnect power.
2. Check the connection between LCD display module and P1C connector on the control; If connection(s) loose, then reconnect.
3. Check for 5VDC from P1C-2 to P1C-4. If there is no voltage at control, disconnect power, replace main control.

Continued:
Causes: (2) Wrong control installed

What to check: Verify correct control is installed. Control should have no connector present at P1A. If wrong control, disconnect power and replace control.

The 2nd check, wrong control installed, I had replaced the main control mother board about 1.5 years ago. Now using Ctrl board no. W10842316 Rev. A (see pic below). We had a burnt out diverter valve motor go bad and it also burnt out the main control output module for the motor. I verified there was no connector socket on the main control motherboard at location P1A. There is just solder pin holes on the board, but no connector. So this should not be the issue I would think.

I did check for 5VDC between P1C-2 (+ 5vdc) and P1C-4 (gnd) and have 5.0 volts on the motherboard. The instructions stop on what to change if there is 5 VDC present. I'm assuming if there is no cut/damaged wires in the harness between the user interface and the main control board, that the user interface board has some issue and needs to be replaced. Please confirm I have assumed this correct and there are no other checks to do short of replacing the user interface.

I did find this thread that had the same issue on a different Whirlpool model where it did say to replace the user interface (console) https://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/threads/whirlpool-wdt720padb1-gold-series-dishwasher-e2-f2-error-code.61798/

It appears they do not sell individual parts on the User Interface and you have to buy the entire unit and plug it in. The part number on the UI I have is W10457040-G.

I can find this part here out of stock: https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Touchpad/WPW10457040/4447106

And here in stock: https://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-crown-asm-ken-wpw10457040-ap6021701.html

Would like to confirm those are the correct latest parts and the next step in troubleshooting this? Any help greatly appreciated.

I also read after installing the a new part to put the system into a full diagnostics to have it reset faults and it reruns a turbidity sensor recalibration. Had to do this with the diverter motor replacement.

I am electrically and electronically friendly being in the OEM machine tool and food industry machine design for a good while. I have most test equipment to troubleshoot going forward, just I do not work on dishwashers every day and any hints in the right direction are greatly appreciated.

Some pics of the setup I have.

Thanks

John

User interface front

User interface PN

Main Control motherboard

Main control PN

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Retired JohnB

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

First off, thank you for confirming the user interface part.

Now to the main control board question, I still have the old original board that came with the dishwasher, I just went and checked and it was W10598482 Rev A. At the time, that number was discontinued and I was pointed to order part number W10866117 on 8/8/17 which is what you linked. Back then just about everyone was out of main control boards, seems there must of been a supply issue. I found one listed in stock at another site. However after ordering it, they too were on backorder and had to wait. Since no one else had any, I just kept the order with them and waited.

Now that I look on the old packing slip, it even says I had ordered W10866117. Tonight looking at the part number of what was in the box that I installed, they sent me W10842316 Rev A. I never knew this until now when you pointed it out. On the Parts Select site, it does state that W10842316 is replaced by W10866117. However Appliance Parts Pro does not state that under W10866117. On the Repair Clinic site, if I enter the the old W10598482 it gives me W10866117. Just it does not talk about what other board it also replaces. If I enter board W10842316 on the Repair Clinic site, it points me to W10866117. See here https://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For-Parts?query=w10842316

Somehow the ordering place at Partselect filled my order for a W10866117 with a W10842316. Don't know if the main Whirlpool supply house was scrambling to fill orders and sent out other stock that would work or not, really do not know what happened. The board has worked since August 2017 when I installed it. I have no idea if it is part of the current user interface issue. Do you think it may be? It is sending the 5 VDC to the UI, just the buttons on the UI do not work, but the display does which is how I got the F2 E2 code.

Thoughts? Does that background clear up the mud on the control board part number issue? Should I stay the course with ordering the new user interface?

Thanks

John

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok John, I got it now, it should be fine then, just order the new user interface assembly and you should be back in business.

Keep us posted.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok John, sounds good.

Jake

Retired JohnB

Premium Member
The new user interface arrived and I installed it. Did a power up test to make sure it communicated with the main controller before putting the front cover all back on. It was talking to the main controller and no F2 E2 service codes, so I powered down and put the unit back together.

Upon power up, I ran the diagnostic cycle. It took about 1/2 hour, went through it's cycle with water, heating etc. and came to the end. When the cycle ended, there was no completed message or clear and no E codes in the display. The display was acting normal and I could lock/unlock the controls etc. for accidentally button pushing. I do not recall the last time (over a year ago) how to be there and read the diagnostic codes or lack of. What did I not do right to tell me the diagnostic cycle ran OK? This model does not have a Clean message, but does have a "Completed" red message in the door face display when the normal wash cycle is over.

We used the dishwasher last night and it washed and worked normal. So all is good at the moment. Wife is happy once again!

Thanks for all your help.

John

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent John, glad to hear the new control panel user interface fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

Page 6 says this: Entry sequence: Press START to wake up control panel and then press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses.
NOTE: Some models have replaced the “Clean” LED with “Completed.”

Jake

Attachments

Retired JohnB

Premium Member
Thanks Jake, that tech sheet is handy having another copy. And one I can increase the letter size to read easier...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I can increase the letter size to read easier
Yes John, I find that very important now too as I'm getting older.:)

Jake