• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 665.12793K313 Kenmore Dishwasher Stops Mid-Cycle

Christine W

Premium Member
Model Number
665.12793K313
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello,

I have a dishwasher that has been giving me problems for a while, and I'm trying to dig in myself after a service tech didn't find any issues.

In Jul '20, we started getting an error where the dishwasher stops mid-cycle after an inconsistent amount of time, and displays "press start to resume." From this point, I can resume and it'll run for a short while (30 sec -10 mins) when I hear a click and it stops mid-cycle again. Back then, we had a Sears tech come out and after 6 months (yahoo, COVID), I put in the new control board they ordered and everything was good.

Fast forward to August this year - same error, same symptoms. Every now and then we can get through a full cycle, but most of the time we can't. Sears tech came out again, he said there was only one error in the history which he cleared, and was able to run it through the diagnostic and sensor calibration without issues, he played with some connections, and he found no issues. The dishwasher worked for about 3 weeks after he worked some mysterious magic, and we're erroring out again.

We're at the point of buying a new unit, but considering supply chain issues I'd like to give it one last go myself. I found the service manual, ran the service diagnostic and got F9E4 (lower spray arm), and then the same error again after clearing it once. I'm seeing several threads that mention a vent fan fault on this unit, but here's my question - since the new control board (temporarily) fixed our problem last time, does it make sense that it could be a vent fan issue, or does that rule it out? Or is it another control board? Does the F9E4 code give any clues? If it' the control board again, I think we're going to get in the long line for a new machine. I'm planning on attempting to run it with the vent fan disconnected tonight, just in case.

To be honest, I'm a little out of my depths, but I like digging into repairs like this and since hubby has a bad back it's up to me to fix these kinds of things. I did replace the control board last time, so I have messed with it a little. I have a multimeter, and I'm happy to learn how to use it! Any help is much appreciated.

Here are references for the vent fan issue:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, Bingo!

Yes, you are correct--->Your model has the problematic door vent that can cause this problem you are having.

Do this first--->Disconnect all the wire connectors to your door vent and see if it runs through a complete cycle AND a complete diagnostic cycle which takes about 23 minutes.

For others following your thread too--->Start reading what bigbuck said at post#18 here:

Your model uses the exact same door vent. If it runs through a complete cycle and everything is back to normal, then order and replace the door vent assembly.

Here it is for your model you can order:
WPW10469574 Vent

To access the vent assembly you will need a T-15 torx screwdriver: Remove 4 screws (long) across top of door, then remove 10 screws (short) on the sides, then the outer door panel pulls off.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Christine W

Premium Member
I tip my hat to you, sir! It did in fact complete the cycle! I can’t believe we have had 3 tech visits, 1 billion calls with our home warranty company, and 9 months collectively of hand-washing dishes when you are able to figure out what’s wrong without even looking at it.

Part is on order, I’m nervous to believe it’ll work long-term, but you probably just saved us $1400. Are we likely to have an issue with the replacement part as well down the road?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's it!

No, once the new door vent is replaced it won't happen again.

Jake

Christine W

Premium Member
It already arrived (wow, that was fast!) and I have it installed. Test running now and it looks good so far! Sending over a donation, you’re a genius!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Christine, glad to hear that.(y)

Thanks for the update and donation!

Jake