665.13193K901 Kenmore Dishwasher Low maximum water temperature

taintedsushi

Premium Member
Model Number
665.13193K901
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore Elite dishwasher and have noticed that the water temperature never seems to exceed 40C even with Hi-Temp selected. I know that the heating element is good since it comes on during the dry cycle and there is continuity in the high temperature cutoff switch.

I ran the diagnostic sequence on it (I think anyway) and there were no error lights.

How likely is it that the thermisor in the water turbidity sensor is borked?

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
40C is 104F degrees.

The water coming into the dishwasher should be at least 120 degrees coming out of your water heater. Do you run the hot water at your sink before you start the dishwasher? To flush out all the cold water in the line first? Because if not, that first fill will be much cooler than 120F degrees.

Jake

taintedsushi

Premium Member
Hey Jake. Thanks for the reply.

I am running hot prior to starting but I checked the temperature at multiple times during the entire run and never got a reading over 40C even with Hi-Temp enabled. Since the water does not seem to be cooling in the tub, it would seem that the element may be functioning but not raising the water temperature enough. Maybe I'll pull that turbidity sensor and have a look at it. I can't think of what else it might be.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
How likely is it that the thermistor in the water turbidity sensor is borked?
It would have given you a error code if that was the case.

The way the water gets heated on these models is the wash motor pumps the water through the lower spray arm and the water from the spray arm passes over the heating element, thus the water gets heated.

We have had many problems with these wash motors stalling out and not spraying the water over the heating element.

Do you notice the wash motor stalling out? Like you hear it dead silent when it should be washing?

Jake

taintedsushi

Premium Member
I can't say I've noticed that. When I interrupt the cycle by opening the door, the spray arms are moving and it seems like water is circulating. The element also seems to be at the same temperature as the water except during the dry cycle.

Is there any way to calibrate the thermistor or some reason it might be reading higher than the water actually is?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It will tell you how to calibrate the thermistor in your tech. data sheet. Do you have your tech. data sheet? It should be located behind the bottom access panel.

Jake

taintedsushi

Premium Member
I think for this model, the diagnostic tests are activated by :

Normal Wash, Heated Dry, Normal Wash ,Heated Dry

I get no errors after it goes through whatever it's doing there.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I will ask our tech. bigbuck if he has the tech. data sheet for this model.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks bigbuck!

Yes taintedsushi, keep us posted.

Jake

taintedsushi

Premium Member
Well, I get 3 errors.

4-1 - Can't determine diverter position
4-2 - ??
4-4 - Diverter stuck on

The odd thing is, it seems like the diverter is working. Water is delivered to both spray arms and there is plenty of water movement. I'm thinking thinking it's just the "sensor" for the diverter position is not functioning.

It also doesn't seem like the diverter has anything to do with the water temperature issue. As for the the thermistor, I don't see where it checks to see that the water temperature actually gets hot only that is within the range of 17C–71C.

Should I replace that diverter?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very strange. Seems like it's more a control board problem.

Here's the control board for your model:
WPW10285178 Electronic Control Board

Do you have the receipt of when you bought this dishwasher? I just noticed your owners manual warranty says this model has a 3 YEAR WARRANTY on it for PARTS and LABOR.:)

Jake

taintedsushi

Premium Member
Unfortunately, it's out of warranty. :(

I guess I'll pull the board and see if there is anything obvious. Double check the connections at the same time.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it seems the diverter motor is working fine, so it seems to me that the control board is giving you false error codes, especially 4-2 which isn't even used on this model.

Jake

taintedsushi

Premium Member
Just to follow up here...

I replaced the control board. After a few hard resets and clearing the error log I get no errors on the front end of the diagnostic cycle. However, after it goes through the wash and drain tests it comes back with 4-4 and 4-2 again.

Run it through a normal dish washing cycle and the diagnostic now reports a 4-1.

The water in the tub never gets hotter than the tap water temperature (~45C) during the wash cycle. And I never see the element getting hot during that period either. During the dry cycle however, the element will get above 80C.

I'm at a loss here.

My dishes are getting clean but there is a nasty smell emitted when you open the dishwasher and the first head of steam clears. It's not noticeable once the dishwasher cools down.

What I think is happening is the water is not hot enough to kill off bacterial growth in all the mechanisms. I've had all the parts (except the spray arms) disassembled and cleaned. This includes the hoses and what I can reach in the pump. I've run everything I can think through the machine to clear it out but the smell is always is there to some degree or another. It's an expensive piece of kit and does a good job cleaning the dishes. I hate to just pitch it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very strange.

4-1 Can not determine diverter position.

1. Unplug dishwasher or disconnect power.
2. Check all connections in diverter motor and diverter sensor circuits.
3. Verify diverter is working during Service Diagnostic cycle. Replace diverter and/or control.

If you board the control board at RepairClinic you can return it for a full refund, less shipping. Then order the diverter motor.

Here's the diverter motor for your model:
W10155344 Diverter Motor

REAL Vanilla extract is the best smell remover on earth.

Jake