665.13259K112 - Diverter doesn't line up with holes on cover; water flow blocked.

PowerPickle

Premium Member
Model Number
665.13259K112
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello. My grandmother told me about her dishwasher not spraying water. I took all interior plastics and racks out, leaving only the holes for the water to come through (from the bottom) and the diverter disk. I put a GoPro camera inside to watch the "normal" wash cycle. The diverter spun in a complete circle several times before settling on a position in which water could not flow through either of the two holes in the cover. Consequently, no water came out of either port in the cover when it was attached. Without the diverter, water comes out just fine.

Is this normal for the diverter? Is there a position sensor for the diverter that's broken? Is the diverter motor partially broken? Is the control board malfunctioning? Where should I start with this?

I appreciate any input on this issue. Thank you for reading.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Run the service diagnostic cycle and check for error codes.

Invoking Service Diagnostics clears all status and last ran information from memory and restores defaults; it also forces the next cycle to be a sensor calibration cycle.

Calibration cycle forces two rinses to occur prior to Final Rinse (to assure clear water), then calibrates the OWI during the final rinse.

The Service Diagnostic Cycle has 27 intervals and will take about 25 minutes.

The Service Diagnostic Cycle starts with interval 27 and ends on interval 1.

NOTE: Some models have replaced the “Clean” LED with “Completed.”

Press; HEATED DRY > NORMAL > HEATED DRY > NORMAL > HEATED DRY > NORMAL

Interval 27 turns on all the LEDs as a display test even if the door is open

Intervals 26-25-24-23 are for Error codes, newest to oldest. Interval 22 to Interval 3 is the diagnostic cycle. Intervals 2 and 1 are for any error codes found during the diagnostic cycle.

The Clean (or Completed) LED will flash each error codes in 2 parts.

The Clean LED will flash the FUNCTION code, pause for 2 seconds, then flash the PROBLEM code, pause for 5 seconds then repeat 3 more times.

If there are no error codes the LED will stay solid for 5 seconds.

Interval 16- Diverter will be on continuously.

Interval 15- Clean LED turns on if all positions were found in Interval 16.

Interval 12- Clean LED turns on if diverter is operating correctly in Interval 13.

PowerPickle

Premium Member
Thank you for the quick reply. I went ahead and ran a diagnostic cycle.

In my case, HEATED DRY > NORMAL > HEATED DRY > NORMAL > HEATED DRY > NORMAL didn't work. I used (POTS & PANS > NORMAL > 1 HOUR WASH) x 3.

The first round of error code assessment gave me: 9-1, 10-1, and 6-6 (in that order) The final round of error codes were: 9-1 and 10-1.

It seems as though the diverter is faulty. What part of the diverter, I wonder? Would I be replacing the entire motor assembly? I don't see a separate position sensor in the parts diagram. Could it also be the wiring? What are your suggestions?

I had a bit of trouble determining when each interval was, so I was unable to gather any information from intervals 12 and 15.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
OK I'll need to see if I can find the tech sheet for your machine. The one I was using was for a similar model 665.13159K**. Close, but not close enough. You're probably right.

Here's the diverter:
W10537869 Diverter Motor

PowerPickle

Premium Member
I went ahead and pulled the dishwasher out. It looked as though water may having been flowing past the diverter seal because the wood underneath the dishwasher was soaked. I also inspected the diverter motor housing. Water may have affected it as well because it looked pretty nasty inside and the electrical contacts for the motor and diverter position sensor were slightly corroded. The most important information to note is that the little button switch for the diverter position sensor did not click anymore. I'm thinking that this is what caused the dishwasher to not know what orientation the diverter disk was in.

Last edited by a moderator:

PowerPickle

Premium Member
Thanks bigbuck! It looks like you found your problem PowerPickle.
Yeah, I think I did. Thanks for the procedures. I'll report back if it turns out that I fixed it. On another note, does not going down to board level mean circuit board level? I wrote up a nice big post on what I was going to do to fix it, but most of it got removed.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, we keep repairs here as simple as possible, we don't repair components on any circuit boards.

You can do that if you like, but we don't support it here.

Jake