• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 665.13293K112 Kenmore Ultra Wash will not drain

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomE55

Premium Member
Model Number
665.13293K112
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Thank you for reading this and any help you may provide.
Noticed water in the bottom of the dishwasher.
Pushed the reset/drain button a couple times.
Heard it trying to drain, but not much actually did.
Now, when I push the reset/drain, nothing happens.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It sounds like the drain pump/motor was wearing out and probably drawing too many amps. Pressing the Cancel/Drain only runs the drain pump/motor. If the motor gets too hot or draws too many amps the internal motor overload will trip. If it happens too many times the overload will not reset. Test this by connecting a DMM to the drain pump/motor connector. When you press Cancel/Drain your meter should indicate 120 VAC.
Drain Pump WPW10348269

TomE55

Premium Member
So, just making sure I understand...

I am testing the cancel/drain function, not the motor?

Thanks!

rickgburton

Staff member
LOL.... When you press CANCEL/DRAIN, what turns on? Answer: The drain pump/motor. What do you have your meter connected to? Answer: The drain pump/motor. So when you press CANCEL/DRAIN and your meter shows 120 VAC, what should be running? Answer: The drain pump/motor. And if the motor isn't running when it gets 120 VAC, what part do you need? Answer.....(Hint- I gave you a link in my last post)

rickgburton

Staff member
What's not to understand?? I gave you all the steps to check the pump/motor and you're asking if you're checking the cancel/drain function??? What did I misunderstand??

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Tom,

Pushed the reset/drain button a couple times.
Heard it trying to drain, but not much actually did.
Now, when I push the reset/drain, nothing happens.

Rick is correct: Pressing the Cancel/Drain only runs the drain pump/motor.

Now is the problem that when you press the cancel/drain button nothing happens? Like that button doesn't even respond? No light above that button comes on? Is that what your trying to say?

If that button is responding but now no sound at all from the drain pump, then like Rick mentioned you have to volt check the electrical terminals that connect to the drain pump for 120 volts when you press the cancel/drain button.

Put both volt meter probes in both electrical terminals that go to the drain pump, it doesn't matter which volt meter probes go in either of the 2 electrical terminals.

Jake

TomE55

Premium Member
Thanks Jake.
I was confused whether he was telling me the motor was bad or the switch. I have no clue what "an overload that will not reset means".
When he attached the link to the new pump I thought he was telling me my motor needed replacing. I thought, if the pump is bad, why would I be testing the pump connector? Didn't mean to ask such a stupid question.
I have replaced the pump and it does run when i push cancel/drain. But the water is still not being pumped out.
I disconnected the drain tube from dishwasher to disposal and it is free and clear.
Could the problem be in the tube from the pump to where ever it goes?
Thanks in advance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I have replaced the pump and it does run when i push cancel/drain. But the water is still not being pumped out.
I disconnected the drain tube from dishwasher to disposal and it is free and clear.

What I usually do is get a bucket or container then put the drain hose in it and press cancel drain to see how fast the water is running out into the bucket or container, it should be a good strong flow out of the drain hose.

Did you just replace your garbage disposal? If so, then you have to knockout the plastic stopper where the dishwasher drain hose connects to if the water is coming out full force from the drain hose.

Also check inside the garbage disposal port where the drain hose connects to, I've seen that get clogged and prevent it from draining as well.

If that all checks good, then yes something in the sump is clogging it up to keep it from draining.

Have you checked your filter for clogs? Also check below the filter.

Here's the filter for your model and the video below to show you how to remove and replace the filter. You don't need to buy a new filter unless yours is cracked or broken.

W10872845 Filter Basket

Video Included in part link.

Jake

TomE55

Premium Member
Can you tell me if this makes sense?
When I test it buy dumping a gallon of water in the bottom of the completely drained dishwasher and push the drain button, the motor runs but no water come out.
But, when I open the door and push it a second times, all the water drains out.
Thanks in advance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That does seem strange, I'm stumped too of why its doing that. I haven't run across that issue as of yet on these newer Kenmore 665 dishwashers made by Whirlpool.

You'll likely need to have Sears come out to investigate this further. If you lived closer to me, I would love to come out and see this for myself, then I could likely find the problem.

Jake

TomE55

Premium Member
Summary.

I pulled the filter and cleaned it.

I pulled out the screen the filter goes through and cleaned it.

The basin under the screen was filled with water that drained when I replaced the pump (picture 2).

I removed the extension drain hose (picture 3) from the dishwasher to the disposal and ran water from a garden hose through it. The water passed through easily.

I put a pan under the hose that connected to the extension hose (see picture 4), put water in the bottom of the dishwasher, pushed the drain button. The pump ran, but no water came out.

The second time I pushed drain and closed the door, all the water came out.

I repeated this process and the exact same thing happened, it came out the second time.

I decided to put the dishwasher back together and run a cycle. The water is still not draining completely.

The only place that this non-professional can conclude the problem is is in that hose the pump is connected to in picture 2. It runs up the side of the dishwasher and I don't know where.

Any other ides before I call service would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
004.jpg 007.jpg 008.jpg 010.jpg 014.jpg 017.jpg

rickgburton

Staff member
Pull the drain pump and see if anything is caught in the impeller. That's what it sounds like. The impeller shaft can strip and only work occasionally.
Drain Pump WPW10348269

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I agree with Rick, did you check the impeller in the drain pump?

I put a pan under the hose that connected to the extension hose (see picture 4), put water in the bottom of the dishwasher, pushed the drain button. The pump ran, but no water came out.

Here's that drain hose for your model below, all its purpose is to make a loop, so when you disconnected it no water will run through it, unless its hooked back up to the main drain hose coming off the water pump, as its just an extension hose.

WPW10545278 Drain Hose

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wait, I said that wrong, that loop hose goes from the drain pump then up into that loop on the side of your dishwasher, then connects to your secondary extension drain hose to the garbage disposal.

8269144A Drain Hose

Jake

TomE55

Premium Member
Thanks for your response.

Pulled it, inspected it (see pic) and re installed it.

Ran the rinse cycle and there is still a puddle in the bottom.

006.jpg 011.jpg 013.jpg

Guess I'll try the loop hose next.

Last edited:

TomE55

Premium Member
007.jpg
I disconnected elbow from the pump. I can blow through the elbow end of the tube (not completely clear and I hear gurgling), but the other end, the one connected to the extension, is completely blocked when I try to blow through it.

Last edited:

Klabiuk

Premium Member
Hi Jake and Tom,

We disconnected the drain loop hose from the sump and blew through the elbow that connects to the sump. Water gushed all the way from the drain loop hose through the drain hose and into a bowl at the other end. Our hose is clear. Any other ideas?

I've ordered a new drain pump already and it should come next week. If that doesn't fix the issue I'll have to call the repairman. This is getting very annoying having to manually empty the dishwasher after every load.

Kathryn

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
View attachment 25000
I disconnected elbow from the pump. I can blow through the elbow end of the tube (not completely clear and I hear gurgling), but the other end, the one connected to the extension, is completely blocked when I try to blow through it.

Then you found the problem Tom, that side goes to your garbage disposal under your sink, you'll need to completely pull that hose off and check for clogs.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Jake and Tom,

We disconnected the drain loop hose from the sump and blew through the elbow that connects to the sump. Water gushed all the way from the drain loop hose through the drain hose and into a bowl at the other end. Our hose is clear. Any other ideas?

I've ordered a new drain pump already and it should come next week. If that doesn't fix the issue I'll have to call the repairman. This is getting very annoying having to manually empty the dishwasher after every load.

Kathryn

Did you remove the clamp at the connector from the loop extension hose and blow through the hose to the garbage disposal under your sink like Tom did?

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.