FIXED 665.13472N411 What to check on why it only washes about 5% of the cycle.

Merlin

Premium Member
Model
665.13472N411
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My kenmore dishwasher is only 14 months old. The timer & leds function as they always have, and the water fills & drains correctly.
Unfortunately the actual washing has stopped and spray arms don't operate.
Sometimes they do when it first starts and it sounds normal, but after the first drain & refill & soap dispenses, there's no action.
The timer continues to count down and it drains & refills occasionally , but I find detergent and dirty dishes at the cycle end.
I checked the continuity of the heating element and it was good. I'm not sure where to go next.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Since this Dishwasher is fairly new, I don't have the tech. data sheet for this model as of yet.

There should be a tech. data behind the bottom access panel of your dishwasher.

Here's your owners manual: https://c.searspartsdirect.com/mmh/lis_pdf/OWNM/1508034L.pdf

If you haven't already checked your upper and lower filters in the bottom of the tub, I check those for clogs starting at page 8.

Jake

Merlin

Premium Member
Thanks Jake,
I do check the filters frequently and they are clean as the problem persists.
I did find the tech data, but couldn't identify a solution to the problem or symptoms.
I've tried the other cycles - 1 hour, delicate, normal with the same results.

Last edited:

Merlin

Premium Member
In the tech data there's an option to do a Service Diagnostics Cycle.
Attached here are snapshots of that diagnostics.
Is that a procedure I should try to execute and do you have any advice for me before I try it?
Dishwash0.jpgDishwash1.jpg

Merlin

Premium Member
I ran the diagnostics and recorded the error codes that were in the history.
Two seemed trivial ("cycle interrupted by door open", "incoming water too cold").
The other three were "No Heat", "Float Switch Open" & "Draining problem".
I cleared the history and started a new cycle. Still no wash operation but water fill & drain worked.
I ran the diagnostics again (this time it washed during the diagnostics which it hadn't done before).
The only error code was "Draining Problem" and the description for that: "Slow Drain, Drain Motor Electric Problem, or Drain Stuck on".
The drain problem didn't fit the bill at all - the tub was full of water during the wash cycle and it drained completely and quickly.
I was hoping the problem was reset but when I ran a cycle again, still no wash.

Like I said before - Occasionally it does wash at the very beginning during the first rinse.
If I open the door during the wash then close and start it again the wash doesn't start even though the timer and cycle continues.

A few more questions:
Is the control assembly the likely culprit? Can I purchase one, install it, then remove & return it if it's not the culprit?
Do you suggest I test any circuits with a meter? (I would think this would be obvious if the wash didn't work at all instead of intermittently).

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's interesting.

I was just thinking if the water is too cold when it comes in that may cause this issue.

Feel the water in the tub to see how cold it is first.

I always tell my customers to run the hot water at the sink first before starting the dishwasher, so it can flush all the cold water out of the hot water line from the water heater to your dishwasher.

If your water is good and hot coming into the tub, then yes, its possibly a faulty control board: Control Board W10751502

You may want to talk to the Sears store manager where you bought it at and let them know about this problem with the dishwasher that's only 14 months old, and see if they can pay to have the problem resolved, with having a Sears tech. come out to locate the source of the problem. So if it is the control board they could pay for it instead of you paying for it.

Jake

Merlin

Premium Member
Thank you Jake,
I did try running the hot water at the sink then running the washer.
I also tried a new control board last night and still got the same results. (I swapped the original back to return the new one).
I got a little more brave in my troubleshooting.
I located the circuit for the wash cycle from the tech sheet and followed it (light blue wires) under the dishwasher to the motor.
I unplugged the wires and put my meter on them then ran the cycle.
When the washer was about full of water, it kicked on 124v (see attached photo).
I plugged it back into the motor and it was still dead, so I'm assuming the motor needs to be replaced.
I was able to remove it.

Jake, unless you have other advice, would you be able to point me to the correct replacement part?

I attached a photo of the label on the back of the motor if it might help.
I did notice the "20min on 10min off" line on the label, but this thing is 100% off now.
dishwash1.jpg dishwash2.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's odd, but I see your voltage is correct to the wash motor.

So yes, that indicates your wash motor is the problem.

Jake

Merlin

Premium Member
I got the wash motor.
It came today and appeared to be nearly identical to the one I removed so I installed it.
So far it is working (still on first test cycle), I'll reply if it shows anymore bad symptoms in the next few washes.
Thank you Jake,
Merlin

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Merlin glad to hear that! sorry for the delay, was out of town last week.

Thanks for the update!

Jake

jbmaryland

I also have the Kenmore Model 665.13543N412. On all cycles, I'm getting hot water into the bottom of the dishwasher, but no cleaning or spinning of the sprayers occurring. I'm going to try this fix prior to buying a whole new dishwasher.

Merlin, was the install difficult and do you have any advice or photos? Thx!