665.1350592 Kenmore trash compactor problem

woodr141

Premium Member
Model Number 665.1350592
Brand Sears Kenmore
Age 1-5 years

When you turn the start knob, it starts, but immediately stops if you release the start knob at any point. To get a full up-down cycle, you have to hold the start knob to the right continuously.

Now, here's the kicker -- if you turn the switch on the left to 'pack', the ram goes all the way down to the correct pack position without continuing to hold the start knob.

However, when taking the switch off 'pack' and then turning on the start knob, you again have to continue to hold it continuously to get the ram to come up all the way and then release the knob to get the ram/gears to stop cycling and turn off in the correct up position to open the drawer.

Any hints as to what might be happening here/what parts to replace would be greatly appreciated. I'm stumped.

It's model 665.1350592.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like the directional switch has a bad contact but I don't have a wiring diagram for that model. Check the switch with a meter for continuity.

whirlpool-switch-top-limit-wp777811-ap6011545_01_l.jpg

woodr141

Premium Member
Welp, I've just gone deeper in the hole. The directional switch replacement didn't fix it. So, then I figured - well, the problem must be the on/off front switch on the panel. Ordered one, replaced it...still not fixed. I have no idea what to do next. I've called/emailed 3 local appliance repair places about this. Two of them never responded and the third one responded saying they don't work on compactors.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I need a wiring diagram. Did you come across the tech sheet while you were working on it?