FIXED 665.13973K015 Goes into drain cycle immediately after start of wash cycle

Paxton355

Premium Member
Model Number
665.13973K015
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My dishwasher goes into drain cycle almost immediately after wash cycle starts. I ran the diagnostics cycle, but somewhere between intervals 19 - 17 is goes into drain cycle and stops. It has the LCD screen on top of the door so error codes are displayed there and not by flashing the COMPLETE light. The display reads F-E- F-E- F-E- F-E-. After that the Hi Temp LED does flash for a few seconds. Then it starts the service diagnostic cycle sequence. It stops every time after the first fill and the Normal wash LED goes out and the One hour wash LED comes on. I noticed that the COMPLETE LED on the front of the door came on just before it stopped. It never completes the service diagnostics cycle so I don't have any codes to read.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

There has been a problem with the door vent assembly that can cause this problem, our other tech bigbuck brought it to our attention.

Disconnect all the wire connectors to your door vent and see if it runs through a complete cycle.

Start reading what bigbuck said at post#18 here: FIXED: KUDE60HXSS5 KitchenAid Dishwasher Fills but then Shuts off

Your model uses the exact same door vent. If it runs through a complete cycle and everything is back to normal, then order and replace the door vent assembly.

Here it is for your model you can order:
WPW10469574 Vent

To access the vent assembly you will need a T-15 torx screwdriver: Remove 4 screws (long) across top of door, then remove 10 screws (short) on the sides, then the outer door panel pulls off.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Paxton355

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thanks for replying to my dishwasher issue. The symptoms described in "FIXED: KUDE60HXSS5 KitchenAid Dishwasher Fills but then Shuts off" are nearly identical to mine so I was very optimistic when I read the thread.

I removed the front door panel and disconnected all wires from the vent fan. I then ran a diagnostic cycle and it didn't change the results. I get no customer error codes, then blinking Hi Temp LED, then I believe interval 19 where it fills. I can then hear the wash motor cycling for several seconds. At this point the Normal wash LED goes out and the 1 hour wash LED comes on, then all LEDs go out followed by Drain.

The drain pumps runs for about 2 minutes and shuts off followed by the vent fan running for awhile.

I decided to remove the vent fan and inspect the internals. The fan blade moves freely as does the flapper. I put it all back together and ran another diagnostic cycle. I was able to get a few more intervals this time. The SANITIZED light came on the front panel so I believe that was interval 16. After SANITIZED went out it ran for maybe 10-15 seconds and then all lights went out, Drain came on and ran for 2 minutes followed by the vent fan for awhile.

Paxton355

Premium Member
I decided to unplug the vent fan again and started a 1 hour cycle. The dishwasher ran for quite a while before it faulted and all LEDs went out and it went into Drain cycle. I then ran a diagnostic cycle and received codes F10E3, which I believe is the vent fan that is unplugged so would be exected, and F6E6, which is incoming water too cold. The water in the tub was steaming so it isn't the element. So maybe it's the thermistor/OWI or the ECB? Can you tell me where the thermistor is located and how to test it?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, you possibly have a control board problem then. A bad thermistor/OWI can not cause this problem.:)

Here's the control board for your model you can order:
Main Control Board W10473199

Look here at this thread, he has the same exact control board yours does, and look how burnt it is: FIXED: 665.1396K017 Kenmore Elite dishwasher control board fried

Take your control board out and see if you notice any burnt components on it.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Paxton355

Premium Member
I had the control board out over the weekend and no signs of any burnt components or overheating. I also found the OWI and removed it to inspect. I measured resistance at pins 12-1 to 12-3 on the control board right after the diagnostic cycle failed and it read 0 ohms. After I had removed and reinstalled the OWI the same resistance check at pins 12-1 to 12-3 was open.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

The soil sensor works like a thermistor, you measure ohms with temperature.:)

The soil sensor should measure 48K to 52K ohms @ 77*F.

Here's the soil sensor for your model:
Turbidity Sensor WPW10705575

Have you done a volt test at the electrical connector that connects to your wash motor to see if your meter reads 120 volts when the wash motor should be running?

Look at my post#2 here: FIXED: KUDE60HXSS5 KitchenAid Dishwasher Fills but then Shuts off

Jake

Paxton355

Premium Member
Yes there was 120v at the wash motor connector. I left power off of the machine for several days. When I plugged it back in it was acting really strange by jumping around to different cycles with the touch pad blinking everywhere. I replaced the main control board and that has resolved my issue.

Thanks for your help Jake!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Paxton, glad to hear the new control board fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

dawnc

jake hi. we have an issue with this same model. I ran the diagnostic and it does not give any error codes. nothing shows in the panel on top of the door. we already checked the drain lines. it starts fine but then stops a few seconds into the cycle. the front panel just says add a dish. then we have to push drain as nothing happens after...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Ok, lets do exactly what I mentioned in post #2 above. --->Disconnect all the wire connectors to your door vent and see if it runs through a complete cycle.

Let us know if it runs through a complete cycle after you disconnect all the wire connectors to your door vent.

If it still doesn't then its likely your wash motor has gone bad. Then you'd to do a volt test at the electrical connector that connects to your wash motor to see if your meter reads 120 volts when the wash motor should be running, after it fills.

Look at my post#2 here: FIXED: KUDE60HXSS5 KitchenAid Dishwasher Fills but then Shuts off

Jake