• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

665.13979K012 Kenmore Elite Dishwasher lower spray arm hits sides of tub

BobinBillsburg

Premium Member
Model Number
665.13979K012
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I replaced a broken lower spray arm with the listed replacement part Whirlpool WPW10195601. The spray arm now hits the middle of each side of the tub. The new spray arm looked identical to the old spray in every way but the old arm was stamped W10195161 ASM.

This is a multiple gear assembly with a couple of rotating arms and I'm wondering if the old spray arm was geared differently so that the farthest extension of the arm as it rotates would be in the direction of the corners of the tub instead of the sides. The old part number seems only to be available on Ebay as a used part. Anyone seen this before?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the lower spray arm for your model:
WPW10195601 Arm-Spray

Did you twist the bottom lock-twist piece to lock it in place?

Jake

BobinBillsburg

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply, Jake
Yes, I locked it. After I noticed that it was hitting the sides of the tub, I unlocked it and rotated the main arm 180 degrees and relocked it again but it continued to hit the sides of the tub. I've noticed that 2 of the central gears are spring loaded so that they can allow the gears to slip so maybe hitting the sides of the tub is normal and then if there is enough water pressure the gears will slip allowing the arm to continue rotating. Maybe my pump is not putting out enough pressure to make this happen; of course all this is speculation on the part of a non-engineer.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I'm not sure what the problem could be, I've not run into this problem before.

Hopefully another tech. or member that has can shed some light on it for us.

Other than that you'd need to Contact Sears to come out at 1-800-469-4663 to see what's going on.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Rob, but I was not able to locate it for your model.

Jake