FIXED 665.15113K214 Kenmore Dishwasher Won’t drain - drain tube clear

mpuhr

Premium Member
Model Number
665.15113K214
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello,
I have Kenmore model 665.15113k214 (5 yrs old) that won’t drain as part of any selected cycle, heated dry or not selected, I’ve tried different combinations of Options, same results. But the dishwasher will always drain the next day when Cancel/Drain pressed.

Here’s what I’ve checked: drain tube/check valve clear, ran self test (123,123,123), passed, then operated once, as expected next wash cycle, but then continued problem with next wash cycles, even after running self test again. Water will always drain the next day when Cancel/Drain button pressed, but will not immediately after completed wash cycle/end. Can see and hear in disposal. This problem had been happening for past month, we just have been manually draining water. Btw, during wash cycle water drains (can hear and see in disposal, just not draining at end of complete cycle.

I suspect controller board, just wanted to verify or get second opinion. I realize self test should reset sensors, etc... I’ve found new controller board on appliancepartpros and ready to order, but thought I’d post here first.
Thanks for any help
Mark

mpuhr

Premium Member
Thank you for quick response. That’s my pump that I pulled out on earlier troubleshooting check and all looked ok. I’m a little surprised because pump does work during self test and during wash cycles, just not at end of complete cycle.

For $50 bucks, I’ll give it a shot and report back.

Thanks again
Mark

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
What's happening is the pump motor bearings are bad. As the motor runs the bad bearings or windings starts to retain heat. Heat causes the motor shaft to expand inside the bearing and the motor stops turning. Once the motor has cooled the metal shaft contracts and the motor works, until it heats up again. I got the clue when you said
mpuhr said:
Water will always drain the next day when Cancel/Drain button pressed, but will not immediately after completed wash cycle/end.

mpuhr

Premium Member
Thank you again for taking the time to explain why the pump is failing. It all makes sense as I know mechanical components tend to fail more than electronic with age. You saved me $61 (controller board). Appreciate it!
Mark

mpuhr

Premium Member
Fixed! 10 minute job to replace motor and another 10 minutes for self test. Ran complete wash cycle today, worked as expected.

Thank you tech for expert advice.
Mark