FIXED 665.15779990 Water inlet deflector inside tub?

R_C

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Dishwasher recently began leaking through bottom right side of door only while filling. Gasket is intact and no leaks after filling. Opening the door quickly during fill I can see splashing off the float. It appears something broke off on the inside of the tub at the water inlet on the left side. Was there some sort of deflector on the water inlet to send the water in a specific direction? If so, which direction? Bottom or back of tub?

The tub assembly parts diagram doesn't show a part number for the inlet assembly only the inlet hose (part #37). And I can't find any pictures. I'm thinking of putting a pot in front of the water inlet to test then maybe epoxy some sort of deflector. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't see the water inlet assembly listed either. Usually you will see a ring nut inside the tub holding it in place on the left side of your tub, do you see anything like that?

Jake

R_C

Premium Member
There is no nut at the water inlet on the left side of the tub. The inlet is flush with the tub. It does look like something may have broken off but actually there is very little room between the lower rack's wheels and the side of the tub. Now I wonder if this could be a too much pressure issue? Could 20 years of hard water reduce the inside diameter of the water feed line? I don't see a pressure regulator in the parts diagram. What does the pressure switch do?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The pressure switch is for the soil sensor, that wouldn't be the problem.

Can you take a video or photos of what broke off? Then you can upload the video to Youtube and post the Youtube link here. Or share your video or photos per Google Drive, Dropbox, or Microsoft OneDrive and post the share link here.

Now I wonder if this could be a too much pressure issue? Could 20 years of hard water reduce the inside diameter of the water feed line?
Possibly yes.

Jake

R_C

Premium Member
I activated the door switch with the door cracked to watch. There is a steady stream from the inlet that blasts the float on the opposite side of the tub which causes the leak at the lower right of the door. Below are two pictures of the water inlet. Sure looks like there is some sort of deflector cap missing.

Dishwasher water inlet1.jpg

Dishwasher water inlet2.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I see that in your photos, it does look like a deflector broke off, but since the parts diagram doesn't show that inlet assembly as a seperate part that can be ordered, I don't know what to suggest.

Jake

R_C

Premium Member
Thanks for taking a look. I think I'll just glue up my own deflector to send the inlet water toward the rear. That should take care of the problem.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's what I was thinking you can do too, but it has to be good solid glue that will hold up with the inlet water pressure.:)

Back in the 1980's my old boss told me about a industrial strength marine glue would hold up, but I forgot the name of it.

Jake

R_C

Premium Member
He may have been talking about 3M 5200. I have used it for several applications on a boat and I think it will do the trick here.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I believe that's it:)

Let us know how it goes.:)

Jake

R_C

Premium Member
When I looked at making my own deflector I realized there was at most about a sixteenth of an inch between the water inlet and the wheels on the lower rack. So I cut a plastic diameter to fit in the recess of the inlet and drilled holes at an angle to send the water toward the rear of the tub. Here's my solution:

Dishwasher water inlet3.jpg

For a test run I put a piece of gorilla tape to hold the deflector in place:

Dishwasher water inlet4.jpg

It worked! The dishwasher filled without any front door leaks and the cycle ran normally. I thought the water and heat might trash the gorilla tape but it looks just fine. I will still get some 3M 5200 to permanently glue the deflector in place. The problem appears to be solved.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear that fixed it, looks good in the photos too.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake