FIXED 665.15894100 Cycles cannot be selected

Peter Weisberg

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I cannot select any of the "Cycles" (Anti Bacterial, Pots Pans, Normal Wash, China Gentle, Time Saver, Quick Rinse) on my dishwasher control panel. The "Options" (Hi Temp Scrub, Sani Rinse, Air Dry) all can be selected.

I tried reseting the control board (by pressing Hi Temp Scrub and Air Dry in sucession for four times). The dishwasher ran a brief resetting cycle. I think pressing Cancel Drain. After this process, I still couldn't select any of the Cycles.

I then tried replacing the electronic control board. With the new board installed, I had the exact same issue, with the Options buttons lighting up but the Cycles buttons not.

Any recommendations for something else to try? Thanks!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The part you need, Control Panel #8528856, has been discontinued by the manufacturer and is no longer available.

Peter Weisberg

Premium Member
Thanks for your quick reply! I found a used Control Panel #8528856 available on eBay. I'm thinking of ordering it, but can't find an instructional video to install. Do you have one of those? How confident are you that this is the issue? (The return policy doesn't seem like a guarantee)

rickgburton

Staff member
It's pretty much plug and play. A couple screws and disconnect the ribbon connector. Be sure to cut the power first. No return policy is a red flag. You might be buying someone else's problems. Whenever a key button or block of keypads becomes unresponsive it usually indicates one or more key switch lines are stuck or shorted on either the control or the keypad. Since you already replaced the control board that just leaves the control panel. Confidence level=98%

Peter Weisberg

Premium Member
Sad to report that two weeks later, after the new control panel had been working great, the dishwasher now will not turn on or respond in any way. None of the buttons will light up. I tried turning on and off the circuit breaker, opening up the top to manually hold down the latch and try turning it on, and I re-plugged everything into the circuit board. Sill nothing. The dishwasher has also filled with water somehow and cannot drain with no response to the control panel. Any idea what would have caused it to break after working so well for two weeks? As I mentioned, I previously tried replacing the control board and it did not solve my problem. Is that a possible fix now?

Peter Weisberg

Premium Member
I replaced the fuse... and the control panel is back and working great! Yet, now the dishwasher won't cycle with water.

After replacing the fuse, when I put the power back on the dishwasher immediately jumped into a partially completed Normal wash cycle. I could hear water flowing and everything sounded like it used to. I hit cancel/drain, and then went to run the dishwasher through a full Normal wash cycle. After letting it run for 15 minutes or so, however, I couldn't hear any water flowing through the machine. Instead of the old full wash noises, all I could hear was a low hum. Nothing in the dishwasher was getting washed.

Any idea why replacing the fuse would mess up the wash cycle? I'm getting ready to give up on this one and buy a new dishwasher. Any last fixes you would recommend?

Thanks so much for all your help!

rickgburton

Staff member
Replacing the fuse restores power and nothing else. Do this;

Press the OPTION key if the display is not illuminated.

Press: WATER/HEAT - SANI/RINSE - WATER/HEAT - SANI/RINSE all within 5 seconds.

This will start the service diagnostics and will take about 26 minutes. Running the diagnostics resets the machine to it's default settings. Let the machine finish the diagnostic cycle all the way through.

Then open and close the door and try a regular wash cycle

Peter Weisberg

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply. I don't have an OPTION key, or a WATER/HEAT or SANI/RINSE key.

By pressing, HI TEMP SCRUB and then AIR DRY three times in quick succession, it does run a quick diagnostic (it displays a 10 for the diagnostic, so it definitely doesn't take 26 minutes). I tried running that diagnostic and then opening and closing the door, but still have the same issue.

Peter Weisberg

Premium Member
s-l1600.jpg

I've attached a picture of the control panel here.

Oddly, I tried running another normal cycle this morning. It ran and filled with water and sounded normal for about 15 minutes and then, completely on its own, shut off completely. Any ideas?

rickgburton

Staff member
Thanks Jake! After it stops can you restart it? Check the heating element for continuity.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Anytime Rick!

Jake