• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 665.15983990 Kenmore Elite Dishwasher Mystery Leak

DishWisperer

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi,

I have a Kenmore Elite Dishwasher (665.15983990) that leaks from the front door panel, but only under specific conditions.

1. LEAK. The dishwasher has a timed cycle such that there is a 2 min fill time delay before the motor kicks in for the wash/rinse cycle. During this time, water fills the bottom of the dishwasher. In my case, this is long enough for the dishwasher to fill to about 1/2" below the heating element. It is not a sufficient amount of fill time to engage the float switch. At the 2 minute mark, the wash cycle begins, and water leaks along the length of the bottom of the front door panel.

2. NO LEAK. If I prefill the dishwasher up to the heating element and then start a cycle, the dishwasher will fill for about 30 seconds and the float switch then stops additional filling. At the 2 minute mark, the wash cycle begins. In this situation there is actually more water in the tub, but there is no leaking at all when the wash phase begins.

3. NO LEAK. If I let the dishwasher fill normally until two minutes is up and the machine transitions to the wash phase, I can prevent or stop the leaking by manually engaging the float dome (e.g., by sliding tongs under it lift it up).

Put simply, whenever the float dome is engaged (either manually or because it reaches the appropriate water level), there is no leaking when the wash phase begins. It seems that the combination of the water inlet valve being engaged while the motor is running diverts water out the bottom of the front door.

Does this make any sense given the laws of Dishwasher Physics? I'm not exactly sure where the water inlet valve feeds into the tub...

Thanks in advance for any insights.

DishWisperer

Premium Member
IMG_8540.jpg

Think I found my own culprit. Loose screws seating the mesh filter beneath the lower spray bar. This seems to allow water to shoot forward towards the lower part of the door. Tightened all screws; no more leaks. Thanks this thread.

Still a tat curious why it would not leak when float dome was engaged...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job finding it was those loose screws. That's the first thing that came to my mind was the pump outlet seal either broken/cracked/loose.

In your case it was loose from the screws to not keeping it tight.

Here's the pump outlet seal for your model(Video included in part link):
WP302711 Pump Outlet Seal

Still a tat curious why it would not leak when float dome was engaged...
That is a good question, but I don't know either.

Jake