FIXED 665.16059402 Kenmore Elite Dishwasher - Can Finish rinse agent cause suds to remain in tub?

ron3033

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Kenmore Elite dishwasher (probably made by Whirlpool)
665.16059402 bought 2006

We noticed that after it had washed the dishes, there was a layer of soap suds in the bottom that did not pump out. We use a very minimal amount of Calgon powder, we barely cover the bottom of the two soap dispenser cups as we have soft water.
I used an appliance cleaner called Lemi Shine,(no dishes) still had suds. Ran a rinse with some vinegar, still had suds. Ran a rinse again and still had suds. This time I checked the rinse agent tank, guess I did not get the cap on correctly for this rinse and some of the Finish Quantum rinse agent ran out the fill hole into the machine. And I still have suds.
We use the correct soap powder soap and a minimal amount. The drain tub goes up over the top of the tub back down to above the P trap under the sink, so it can't syphon the trap.
1. Could the Finish Quantum rinse agent cause this?? (dial is set to 2 for rinse agent)
2. Is there a way to check to see if it is leaking out of the soap rinse agent dispenser on the door? Should I run the diagnostic code for the DW (Heated dry > normal wash > Heated dry > normal wash ) But not sure how to interpret what this tells me?
Any suggestions would be helpfull.

ps: this dw has had to have new wash motor, new pump out motor, and 3 or 4 soap dispensers while under warranty...… it would have been cheaper for Sears to replace it. This dw is also part of a class action suit which we have yet to hear anything back?

Thanks
ron3033

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
ron3033 said:
1. Could the Finish Quantum rinse agent cause this?? (dial is set to 2 for rinse agent)
Yes. A rinse agent should only be used in hard water conditions. When used in soft water it will cause sudzing and likely result in poor cleaning and maybe poor draining as well.

Dan O.

ron3033

Premium Member
Hi Dan O.
Thank You Should I try to get the rinse agent out of the dispenser? But how do you get it out short of taking it off the door and rinsing it out. Could the lid be removed and close the door and let it run out into a towel and keep adding water to it and repeat often?? Shop vac it out, but that may damage it inside. I do not believe there was a zero setting on the dial.

Thank you ron3033

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
ron3033 said:
Should I try to get the rinse agent out of the dispenser?
I think so. I do not know the most efficient way to accomplish it though.

A tip for others: If you want to try a rinse aid, try to find the kind that hang off a rack until you know whether it helps or not. (They're easier to discontinue.)

image.jpeg

JMO

Dan O.

ron3033

Premium Member
Thanks Dan never saw one of theses before but I will look. They were out of stock on Amazon.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Old technology 😕

BTW If you have soft water do not use that or any other rinse aid.

ron3033

Premium Member
Good to know. It did the suds up last night again, maybe half a teaspoon soap in total. There was no streak of rinse aid down the door either. I am thinking, that it must be letting too much rinse aid out, even with the dial at 2. I guess I need to get the tank empty, I expect it will take a while, considering an empty bottle of Finish suds up magnificently with a bit of water. Lots of laughs.
The class action settlement for these DW has been extended, and they expct about one year September before payment .."MIGHT BEGIN" operative word ..... "Might". What a joke.

ron3033

Premium Member
Well here is what seems to work so far, and until I put in the new soap/rinse aid dispenser.
I emptied out the rinse aid, filled it with water a couple of times to rinse it. I used 2/3 rinse aid 1/3 water in the rinse aid container. No more suds at completion of wash cycle. So far, so good.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
ron3033 said:
No more suds at completion of wash cycle.
Glad to hear it. :)

BTW. If you have soft water, you can also reduce the amount of detergent you use... except if you're using pods of course. :(

Dan O.

ron3033

Premium Member
Hi Dan O

We use very little powder soap, usually just covering the bottom of the soap wells. not even up to the soft water marks. That is what the chief engineer in the kitchen tells me …… as it is NMD ….. Not My Department. LOL! She wont be reading this...hahaha!