• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 665.16472300 Kenmore Dishwasher - Heating Element Question

whitebox

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I've experienced the usual Thermal Fuse blowing situation. I initially smelled hot electrical, unplugged the unit and opened the front panel. Several wires were warm enough to heat up the black rubber sound-deadening panel inside the door. I wiped down each line and no burnt wire insulation was found. Some water was in sump. Pushed cancel to drain sump of water.

Ran another normal wash and it stopped at what was probably final rinse. Thermal fuse blown

Replaced the Thermal Fuse and it ran fine until what I believe was final rinse where I think the heating element is supposed to heat the final rinse water. Unit stopped and fuse blew. Drained water in sump with manual pump.

Purchased another fuse. Fuse blew immediately upon plugging unit in. Probably because dishwasher's cycle was still at the point that caused previous fuse to blow at final rinse. I have not pulled unit out of the cabinet yet to check the heating element with a meter yet, but am leaning towards the cause of the fuse blowing issue to be a bad heating element. The original control board had minor discoloring on the bottom of the case, so I replaced that with a new unit (same model as original) when the first Thermal Fuse first blew.

I have read on the forum that certain models do not require a new/specific model control board when the updated replacement heating element is installed. I'm hoping that I can re-use my new control board. My dishwasher has a stainless tub and currently has the circular heating element. I believe the replacement elements are now more rectangular. Can you confirm if my machine can just use a replacement element (if it reads bad on a meter when I ohm test it) or if I have to purchase a new control board specific to the new element.

Thanks in advance for the information

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the thermal fuse kit for your model, in case others need it too:
8193762 Dishwasher Fuse Kit

Another member brought this same subject up last month, look here:

He said you can use this heating element for the stainless steel tub models:
WPW10082892 Heating Element

Jake

whitebox

Premium Member
I saw the previous write up and like that poster, was wondering if the control board currently in my machine (a new board with the same (8534963 REV B) part number as my original board) can be reused. Some websites selling the upgraded heating element state that a new board must be used due to changes of some type on the upgraded heating element. He lucked out and his particular machine (different model number than mine) did not require the board to be replaced also. I'm hoping for the same luck with my model, but cannot find any information as to the use of my existing board. I just don't want to try a new element and another fuse just to find they won't work with or damage my existing board

Thanks again for the very helpful site and information.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No you don't need to change the control board, you can leave your original control board in place.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, yes let us know.

Jake

whitebox

Premium Member
FIXED! Installed new heating element (17 ohms tested before installation, old element tested at 10 ohms) as well as a new thermal fuse kit (with wire harness upgrade). Ran 1 load with "Air Dry" setting. Worked well. Ran another load with "Heated Dry" setting for the ultimate test of the fuse. Other than a very slight warm smell when sniffed at the air vent after the heated dry cycle ended, everything seems to be back to normal. We don't usually use the heated dry setting, so the warm smell may just have been a normal occurrence for that particular cycle. We'll go back to the "Air Dry" cycle as usual and keep an eye (and nose) on the unit for a few days.

The dishwasher lives on to fight for another day. Thanks for the assistance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent whitebox, glad to hear the new thermal fuse kit and heating element fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

whitebox

Premium Member
UPDATE: The "warm" smell that I found at the door vent during the "Heated Dry" cycle may have been cause by the redesigned/different shape of the replacement heating element. The silverware baskets are directly over the right-rear corner of the new element wheras the old style element's circular shape placed it away from the basket. Our plastic basket has melted strings of plastic directly over the element's corner bend. Luckily that end of the basket snaps off, so we'll just have to use that portion away from the heating element or have a reduction in silverware capacity. As I said earlier, we usually just use the "Air Dry" setting so the damage probably occurred during my test run using the "Heated Dry" setting where the element was not covered with water. That was also the test run that produced the strongest warm smell at the vent.

Just a word of caution for others.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok whitebox, thanks for adding that.:)

Jake