FIXED 665.16699200 Kenmore Dishwasher - Control Panel on Dishwasher - Not available?

Bigfoot100

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello,

We have a Kenmore Elite Dishwasher (665.16699200) with a top facing control panel (WP8537820 I believe). The Start button started getting temperamental recently, and now seems to have stopped working altogether. All the other buttons work fine, and the little LEDs work fine too. I looked up the number above and tried to buy it, but every website I go to says "No Longer Available." Other than trolling eBay, any suggestions for how to resolve this problem? Every thing else is fine, and I hate to have to ditch a perfectly good dishwasher only because a single little button stopped working.

Thanks!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
From photos of the part, WP8537820 only looks cosmetic. I don't see any ribbon connection for a membrane switch. I don't think that component is responsible for your complaint.

There is however another user interface control board (8533415) beneath that area which could be the issue. It looks to have mechanical switches in which case an issue might be able to be rectified rather than just replaced.

PD_0022_665_8533415.jpg

A new one doesn't look to be available so if it wasn't serviceable, you'd have to find a used one or try to have it repaired professionally.

Dan O.

Last edited:

Bigfoot100

Premium Member
Thanks Dan! I removed the control board (like the photo you posted) and used a multi-meter to prove that the push-button "Start" switch was not working. So I removed the switch that was for the "China" cycle, which we never use, and moved that good switch over to the Start switch position. The dishwasher is back together and up and running again! Thank you so much for your help.

Btw, do you know if it's possible to replace the membrane that covers the switch buttons? The area above the Start switch is cracked/damaged, and will allow moisture to enter and drip down on the control board.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
It is not usually a separate part. Maybe it can be repaired from the underside?

Bigfoot100

Premium Member
Good idea. Maybe just some clear flexible plastic underneath. I'll look around for something. Thanks!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Bigfoot100 said:
Maybe just some clear flexible plastic underneath.
Maybe a short piece of Fiberglas tape if it wouldn't make it too stiff. It would be pretty durable. (You could try it first on the section of the membrane you don't use?)

BTW. Packaging tape gets brittle with age and probably wouldn't last.