• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

665.17512200 Kenmore Dishwasher flood

BillD

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Was awakened this morning with the dishwasher flooding the kitchen, seemingly from the door. It had run earlier in the night. So, after cleaning up the water, and checking for leaks underneath (fill valve, hoses), I found the door insulation was soaked. I figured it might be a fill valve problem, so I turned the water back on, and the tub started to fill with the washer off. A bunch of black stuff came out with the water. My understanding is that the valve is normally closed, so shouldn't deliver water until turned on. I drained and tried again, same results for a bit and then it stopped. I started a cycle and it filled to the correct level and started up. I cancelled.it drained, and did it again. Everything seemed okay, but I don't trust it anymore. So, I plan to order a new one. Still, the fact that it allowed water through while the machine was off, is perplexing. The wash cycle should have been finished at least a couple of hours before. Any thoughts?

Added complete model number

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Model Number 17512200
That model number looks incomplete. It looks to be missing the 3-digit manufacturer's prefix. The complete model number might be 665.17512200. Please double check it.

BillD said:
My understanding is that the valve is normally closed, so shouldn't deliver water until turned on.
That's right. The fill valve should not let water through it unless it is being powered (usually with 120v) but could seep/leak small amounts of water if water pressure to the valve was reduced like could occur with a partially plugged sedment screen where the house water line attached to it.

LINK > How does a water fill valve work?

LINK > Kenmore 665.17512200 Water Fill Valve

Dan O.

BillD

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply. The part number is correct, and shows up as such on a couple of parts sites. I am having a difficult time understanding how reduced pressure would cause seepage, while full pressure doesn't. Even if the filter was partially plugged, the pressure would be the same as line pressure after a period of time; flow would be reduced. At any rate, when I turned the tap on there was lots of flow, so it would seem the valve was wide open. If this was the case, it opened a few hours after the cycle finished with no power. Definitely, a puzzle. That link for the part didn't show whether they ship to Canada. A few years ago, I ordered a new ice maker for my Kenmore fridge, from a link provided by Jake. The price was good and I lucked out as there was not added sales tax added when it shipped here. Problem was, it took 3 weeks to arrive. Again, thanks for the reply.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
BillD said:
I am having a difficult time understanding how reduced pressure would cause seepage, while full pressure doesn't.
The greater the water pressure, the tighter the valve is held closed. A minimum of 20 psi is usually required for a tight seal.

You can read the link titled "Water fill valve operation details" at the end of the link I left above to get more detail on how an appliance water valve functions.

BillD said:
That link for the part didn't show whether they ship to Canada.

That one doesn't. This one does.

LINK > Kenmore 665.17512200 Water Fill Valve (ships to Canada)

Dan O.

Last edited: