• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake

665.61622100 Kenmore Microwave loud humming noise, burning smell

Karla Barnes

Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2019
Messages
1
Location
451 Birkhead
Model Number
665.61622100
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Age
More than 10 years
Making a louder humming noise than usual. When I try to use a burning smell come from vent inside the microwave on the right
 
Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
34,681
Location
Murray, Utah 84107, United States
Sounds like one of the high voltage components. It's probably the diode and capacitor or mag tube. Here's how you test them:
C-HV-Capacitor Test.jpgC-HV-Diode Test.jpg
 

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Joined
Aug 24, 2004
Messages
102,082
Location
McMullen Valley, Arizona

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
34,681
Location
Murray, Utah 84107, United States
Rick I have a quick question, should the capacitor be discharged first before doing the 9 volt battery test?
No, It's already discharged by the time it's out.
 

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Joined
Aug 24, 2004
Messages
102,082
Location
McMullen Valley, Arizona
Thanks Rick!

Jake
 
Top