• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake

665.61683101 Microwave stops for 1 second, lights in kitchen dim, then it restarts

jon_roanoke

Premium Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2008
Messages
27
Location
Roanoke VA
Model Number
665.61683101
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Age
6-10 years
Microwave intermit runs few seconds, stops for 1 second, lights in kitchen dim, then it restarts

about 50% of the time we use the microwave, it will start properly and then almost immediately make a humming noise (sounds electrical) for about a second, then the microwave insight light will go off and the cooking and platter rotation will stop but the cooking timer will continue to count down. This will last about 1-2 seconds and then the lights in the room will dim very slightly dim and the microwave will then resume cooking properly for the remainder of the cooking period. any ideas? thanks for your help!
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
23,610
Location
Ontario, Canada
Hi,

Not a clue, haven't seen one do that.

jeff.
 

jon_roanoke

Premium Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2008
Messages
27
Location
Roanoke VA
Maybe the short sound it makes might be a clue, it sound like an electrical buzzing. I put a few second video clip on youtube and you can hear the sound, the short buzz, right at the end, at the 7-8 second point. Maybe the capacitor?

Thanks! Jon
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
23,610
Location
Ontario, Canada
lights in kitchen dim
Forgot to mention....the micro power and lights shouldn't be on the same circuit.

jeff.
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
23,610
Location
Ontario, Canada
it sound like an electrical buzzing
Magnetron end burning, wave guide burning, fuse holder burnt, thermostat wire burnt.....would have to be investigated.

Maybe the capacitor?
Not likely as that normally blows the fuse.

jeff.
 

jon_roanoke

Premium Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2008
Messages
27
Location
Roanoke VA
Thanks Jeff! (Sorry for the delay). Based on the words "burning" in your answer, do you think that this is not safe to continue to use? Is it a fire hazard?

Two other possible clues:

1) when the microwave stops for that brief 2 seconds, if the under-microwave light, the one that is part of the microwave and turned on by pushing a button on the microwave keypad, if that light it on, it will also go out during the 2 second outage. So everything (the turntable, the microwaving, the under microwave light, the light inside the cooking box) goes out except for the timer, which continues to count down.

2) It has not done this in a few years, but it used to blow its internal fuse every 3-6 months. This stopped happening probably about 5 years ago, so probably unrelated.

Thank you very much for your advice! Jon
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
23,610
Location
Ontario, Canada
do you think that this is not safe to continue to use?
Yes.

Is it a fire hazard?
Not likely.

So everything (the turntable, the microwaving, the under microwave light, the light inside the cooking box) goes out except for the timer, which continues to count down.
Fuse, fuse holder would/should turn everything off if that was giving us grief.

jeff.
 

MikePCAP

Premium Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2008
Messages
2
Location
Nevada
Even though my model is not a Kenmore I'm asking this here 1. Because it is a Viking model and you don't seem to have a Viking category. 2. My description is ALMOST identical to this one and I was wondering if any one had a more specific answer.

In my case I was time cooking something for 5 minutes and about midway through the magnetron, fan and the turntable stopped. The timer continued to count down and after about 45 secs it all started up and finished up. This happened a second time with approximately the same cook times and pauses. Finally the next day I went to use it again, and it does not even attempt to start. The timer and interior light all function normally, and I can here the relay turning on and off during lower power modes, but the turntable, mag and fan no longer start at all. Cord-powered it off and on, no difference. Any Ideas what to check first? I replaced one of the three door interlock switches about 6 months ago (opening the case took the longest.) Fuses were fine then. Would this happen if the slow-blow fuse was going or faulty? Transformer? Perhaps a faulty cook-sensor (this thing is one-button programmable for everything from pop-corn to veges.)

Don't think it's the magnetron, as it was working at full strength right up until this started.

Thanks for any assistance.
 
Top