Thread: DV328AER/XAA Keeps blowing thermal fuse

Default DV328AER/XAA Keeps blowing thermal fuse

Model Number: DV328AER/XAA
    Brand: Samsung

Hello, Our initial problem was loud noise & no heat. We replaced 4 drum wheels; the belt pulley wheel (bearings wore out for all these parts); the belt; the heat coil; all fuses-more than once; the cord/plug; the motor; cleaned the vent pipe - thoroughly; cleaned fly wheel; even installed new light bulb (previous one burnt out). At one point changed the computer board ('brains' - top left inside dryer) but no change in results. The only thing not replaced is the metal exterior & the display board. Dryier hums- sounds better than new. BUT, there is still no heat & keeps blowing thermal fuse. We have purchased 5 of these now (been trying to 'fix' for 5 months).

Using clothes line to dry & saving lots of $ on electricity, however, tired of 'scratchy towels' & a dryer that runs quiet, but won't dry. Had to return 1st new motor as it was defective & exchanged for another that runs fine. Took pictures to ensure all wiring and parts were replaced correctly; watched countless 'u-tube' videos; Had a Sears repair technician come out (reason for new motor) who tested & said it was a problem with the motor - something about 110 on one side and 220 on the other? Said it would be between $4-500 to fix. His solution, "buy a new motor." We even checked the circuit breaker and it appears to be fine? Dryer heats initially when we put new thermal fuse in, runs anywhere between 10-20 min and then the heat is gone. Completely exhausted & clueless. Help!

I had one due this same thing, put 3 thermal fuses in it and continued to blow them even though the vent was clear.

The last thermal fuse I put in I told the customer to use MEDIUM HEAT and NOT HIGH HEAT, and I have NOT heard from her since.

So use MEDIUM HEAT, if it still blows the thermal fuse then I'd have LG come out to see what's going on.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thanks Jake for the imput. I had a quick question regarding the installation of the thermal fuse. We had to drill out the gromets (connecting the original factory thermal fuse to the metal holder that connects to the heat coil housing box)in order to release the fuse. We followed instructions for this from a repair video. We didn't have the tool used in the video to attached the new fuse to its casing. I think they used some kind of plastic gromit?. We used tiny, metal screws and then replaced it back on the metal housing of the heat coil. I read something stating the thermal fuse would keep blowing if the heating element/housing was grounded? Are these metal screws doing that? Is the heat coil metal housing eletrified then and does it get 'grounded' when it comes in contact with something metal, and if this is the case, should we be attaching these thermal fuses using some kind of plastic or non-conductive connecters? (sorry, dryer repair isn't my first language, so I hope you understand my question). Thanks again for your assistance

If you replaced the thermal fuse with the OEM thermal fuse, there is no drilling involved, you just remove the thermal fuse screws and remove the old thermal fuse and put the new thermal fuse in.

Here's the thermal fuse for your model:
    DC96-00887C

You'd need to ohm test your heating element terminals to the metal heater housing to see if you get continuity, Make sure the dryer stays unplugged when you do that.

If you get no continuity between each heating element terminal to the metal heater housing, then your heating element is not grounded.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts