Thread: Broan Range Hood Evolution 3 QP3 Series

Default Broan Range Hood Evolution 3 QP3 Series

Model Number: QP3
    Brand: other

So how about Range Hoods? I have a Broan Evolution 3 series range hood my wife is convinced that it is possessed. However, I don't find an area for range hoods or range hood problems--not under stoves/ranges, or HVAC.

If a mod could point me to the right sub-forum, I'll describe the issues and ask for help on this.

QP330SS is full model number, just found it.......
    Last edited by Opihi59; August 2nd, 2018 at 11:40 AM.

Well, since there have been 55 views so far, and no one has told me I'm a knucklehead for posting in the wrong section, here's the deal: I don't seem to have much control over the fan. If it is turned on, it doesn't seem to want to be turned off. There is a "temperature sensor" function to it, in that it will not show down unless you hold the button down, but I've never had what seems to be like any control over that despite making sure I'm familiar w the operation of this via memorizing the owner's manual. This lack of ability to shut the thing off once turned on has deteriorated to having the thing come on by itself (completely arbitrary) and then surging speeds/slowing as if possessed. Eventually it will shut itself off, but this is very annoying. This thing is really just a few years old, and since it was so irritating to operate, really the only function we used on it was the lights. Cost around $1000 here, so I was reluctant to throw it out and get something different. Broan no longer makes this particular model, they've moved on to the Series 4 Evolution model, though I see parts are available. I'm not willing to throw parts at it, and hoping that perhaps someone can tell me how to diagnose this further, and if it needs a new board, or control panel, then I can replace just that part.
    I chose that model at the time since it really looked nice, seemed to be a high end product so I thought it would be very durable, and of course, complement the very extreme high end remodel I did of our kitchen that I'll still be paying for for a few years.......

You posted in the right forum.

But I don't have a clue what's wrong without seeing the service manual first.

If any techs out there can shed some light on this or post the service manual then we can troubleshoot it, but without the service manual we are dead in the water.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thank for the input, Jake. I'm hoping we hear from some techs soon then. Wife is somehow annoyed w me rather than at the range hood, and I'd like to fix it rather than trash it and get something else. Who knows, maybe a temperature sensor issue. Apparently the Canadian version of this does not have that feature.....maybe I can revise it to that version.

In the meantime, I'll see if there is a service manual online that I can access. Time to dig, but my google fu does not feel strong today.

No luck on finding a service manual. I have contacted Broan, but really doubt they will be helpful to me in this quest. Maybe someone on the forum will come thru. I do have some suspicion of the temperature sensor but have no way of testing performance parameters unless somehow those parameters were published somewhere.

Seems the manual would be out there somewhere, but multiple sources all came up empty handed.

Broan was not helpful with a service manual. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

Still no luck on service manual thru any other sources. Occasionally the fan will come on spontaneously, even while there is no heat on the stove, etc. It does have a temperature sensor that will kick the fan on automatically. When it does this, the fan speed indicator light will blink on and off. If you turn it on, the light above the fan speed is a steady on light. Currently the fan will pulse on/off briefly and keep doing that action, and it has come on by itself w no heat on the stove, but with the hood lights on. If you then shut off the hood lights, or dim them, then the fan will stop pulsing and stay on w the fan speed light blinking on and off.
    Not sure where to go with this issue. I could guess temp sensor is bad and replace that, but I really just despise throwing in parts without having a way to know or understand/test the system to figure out what is really wrong with it. This AM, the time display showed "2Aff" Not sure what that is supposed to mean, could be a trouble code, but I am unable to interpret.

Interestingly, a friend with a recent kitchen remodel who installed a Broan Range hood called me up last night and said they cannot turn off their fan, and the fan speed light is blinking. I could only tell them that once the range had cooled down, it would shut off. But, they had been cooking a lot on the range when it came on like this.

Where did you buy this Broan Evolution 3 series range hood at?

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

SERVCO Home and Appliance Distribution. Hawaii.

Can you go back to that place and ask if they can recommend someone who knows a great deal about these to come to your house to see what's going on?

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

I suppose that is a possibility. Of course it's simple enough to remove and take to them, but they're not a repair center. All the service centers for Broan on a Honolulu search indicate places in California.
    Of course it may take me a few days to find a slice of time to get there. I'll post back in.