Thread: DV42H5200EP/A Samsung heater element thermostat goes out after a few loads

Default DV42H5200EP/A Samsung heater element thermostat goes out after a few loads

Model Number: DV42H5200EP
    Brand: Samsung

I tried to research and find my problem in other posts, but I was unsuccessful. Here is the whole story. About a year ago I had a problem with my dryer not heating. I replaced the entire heater element assembly. A few days ago, the heater element assembly went out and since I had a warranty on the part I swapped out the whole piece again. The thermostat was the part that was out after I tested it for continuity. Three loads later, the thermostat goes out on the new one. I went back to the store and got a couple more thermostats. I did not think that I had an issue with airflow, but to make sure before I installed a new thermostat, I ran an Milwaukee blower thru the vent to the outside and it was pumping a lot of air out. Very little lint came through exit. So I did not/do not think it is air flow. I installed a new thermostat and got another three loads out of it before the dryer stopped again. I think I've eliminated not enough air flow so I assume it has to be too much heat.

Also, I see where some call the part the thermostat and some call it the thermal fuse. It is the round white piece on the back of the assembly, not the black piece in the middle of the assembly.

What could be causing this issue?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by jpn13; August 29th, 2018 at 09:11 AM.

Hi,

Try this first:

Make sure that the vent to the outside is clear. Best way to test is to run the dryer with the door open and placing a sheet of paper over the vent grill inside the drum. If the paper sticks to the vent grill, your exhaust vent is ok. If the paper doesn't stick to vent grill hard enough and is very easy to pull off while the dryer is running, remove the exhaust vent in back of the dryer and retest. If the paper still doesn't stick the vent grill, something is inside the dryer and needs to be disassembled and cleaned out properly.

Another problem is the dryer is overloaded. When loading the dryer make sure that it doesn't exceed half way up the drum. A lot of times, people will overload the washer and then dump that excess load into the dryer. With so many clothes bunched up like that, the dryer can't extract the heated air fast enough and will blow the thermal fuse every time.

If that doesn't help then here's our main thread on this problem: Samsung Dryer Keeps Blowing Thermal Fuse You can see towards the end of that thread I had the same here in my area locally, and MEDIUM HEAT was the unltimate solution to my customers dryer doing this. Now if you look at what Rannmann68 did in post #26 that may be the solution for yours too.

But my customers door seal was fine and not missing.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts