Thread: Looking for reliable appliance suite

Default Looking for reliable appliance suite

I have original appliances from about 2004 in my house, and have not been impressed by their reliability. they are whirlpool gold. Every single item has been repaired, some of them multiple times. Maybe I had bad luck, maybe mid-2000s Whirlpool wasn't very good? Or maybe 5-10 years is all I should expect. Anyway I am considering replacing everything the next time something breaks. I am wondering what would be considered most reliable these days, or if continuing to repair 15-year old appliances is a better bet?

unfortunately I have an expensive setup, double wall oven, 36 inch electric cook top, counter-depth fridge, etc.. so it is going to be expensive if we decide to replace it all. Which is why, I want to find something that should last a long time (is it unreasonable to think they should last 20 years without repair?). Hard to shop in stores, because can't get honest opinion from sales (and they may not really know in the first place).

Red face They don't make them like they used to.

is it unreasonable to think they should last 20 years without repair?
    IMO yes.

Appliances might last that long without needing repairs but it is unlikely IMO. If they are not abused and repaired as required, they could provide 20 years of service.

I would suggest you consider replacement on an item by item basis, based on the repair required at the time, the general condition of the appliance involved against the cost to replace it.

LINK > Appliance411: The Purchase: When to replace?

BTW. Whirlpool is the brand I most often recommend.

Dan O.

Thanks for the input. Do you think it's unusual for a set of 15 year old appliances to have ALL of them fail at some point? I've replaced control boards in just about everything, microwave died (just replaced that), knob on the range, ice maker multiple times, etc, etc.. is this bad luck or do I just expect too much to have something that will last? Seems like every year or so, give or take, something happens to one of them appliances. And it's been basically since the beginning, things started to go wrong in the 2nd or 3rd year and they continue to need fixing. Luckily i have been able to fix most things myself, with help of forums & part suppliers like this site.

Lightbulb

Having to replace a knob on a range is trivial. What exactly failed in the microwave? There's a difference between routine maintenance or service and being a money pit. Have you had service on your car is the last 15 years?

I suggest you deal with the appliances on a case by case basis after knowing for certain the repair costs and weighing it against cost of replacement. Have you had the same appliance repaired multiple times? That might be a something to keep in mind.

If you just want new appliances, go for it! ... I suggest a Whirlpool brand.

LINK > Appliance411: The Purchase: Who makes what?

JMO