Thread: DV45K6200EW/A3 Samsung Dryer shutting off

Default DV45K6200EW/A3 Samsung Dryer shutting off

Model Number: DV45K6200EW
    Brand: Samsung

My Samsung dryer model # DV45K6200EW/A3 and serial number # 0AMD5BBH801434Z has been acting up. A few weeks ago, I put some wet clothes in and set it for a normal dry cycle with static control on and eco dry on. This is an automatic cycle that senses when it's dry. The dryer ran for about 10 or 15 minutes and then cut off as if someone unplugged it. It wouldn't turn back on until it sat for awhile. When I was able to turn the power back on, I set it for a manual cycle and it dried normally. The next time I used it, I set it on normal, automatic cycle and it worked fine. Now yesterday, I put a load in and set it on a normal automatic cycle and it shut off again after 10 minutes or so. When it shuts off, there is no power to the machine, the display doesn't light up, and pressing the power button does nothing. After sitting for a bit, I turned it back on and set it on a manual cycle but this time it cut off again after a short run. I had to wait again before being able to turn the power back on. I set it on a manual cycle and it ran through the whole cycle. So, I would guess it has something to do with the thermal cut off switch since it shuts power off but then will come on after a while, but I'm not sure why it would be intermittent. I checked the exhaust vent and it is clear and flowing freely. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

Anybody?

This is a very uncommon problem that I have not seen before, hopefully another tech. that's seen this problem can shed some light on it for us both.

You may want to disassemble your dryer and clean all the inside of it out from the lint that collects inside of it, if too much lint gets on the motor it can overheat it and shut the dryer down.

Watch this video to take it apart: Samsung Electric Dryer Disassembly

Make sure you unplug the dryer first.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thanks Jake...I'll try that.

Ok, I took the dryer apart and it looked spotless inside. I vacuumed a tiny amount of lint out of the vent fan but everywhere else was spotless. While I had it open, I ran to a local appliance place and picked up a high limit thermostat and a thermistor since they're cheap. I then put some wet towels in the dryer, selected a normal cycle which is an automatic cycle with eco dry on, turned on the anti static setting and hit start. About ten minutes later, the dryer was off and wouldn't come back on until it sat for a bit. I started it again on the same cycle and same settings and it did the same thing. What would cause the dryer to cut off and cut power to the display panel as well? After some reading, I'm thinking either the control board or motor. The motor sounds fine but maybe sound isn't a good way to judge it. Any ideas for some troubleshooting? Thanks.

Ok, I went back and started the dryer again on the same settings and sat and watched it. The few towels were still damp. It worked what I would consider totally normal. It completed the cycle and played the little tune. I guess it works if I sit and watch it. I've got to figure out what's causing it to shut off the first couple of tries but then lets it work normally. Just so you know, when it does shut off, the display doesn't come on and the light doesn't work inside and the power button does nothing when you press it. It's as if someone flipped the breaker but the breaker is not tripping. After cooling down or resting or whatever for a short bit, I can hit the power button and turn it back on for another try. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I haven't run into this problem on this model, but it sounds like the control board is the problem.

Here's the control board for your model: DC92-01896A PCB

If the motor was the cause the lights should still light up on the control panel, I would think, but I rarely work on Samsung models, so it's your call.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts