Thread: Not Cold, Tested Everything Working

Default Not Cold, Tested Everything Working

My unit was running under pretty heavy load for a year or two and it stopped cooling. I took it apart. Capacitor is good. Thermistor is good. Fan motor is good. Compressor is good and hums on. It responds to changes in fan speed based on temp.

Coldest air it blows is 71 degrees. It's a Frigidaire, 2 years old.

What else can I check, could it be the coolant? The copper at the bottom of the evaporator is green but that's pretty normal.

Thanks in advance for the help!

You have a sealed system problem. Common problem with refrigeration and air conditioning units today considering they are using thinner and thinner, inferior metals. That's why most , if not all, manufactures now offer only a 1 year warranty on the sealed system .Used to be 5 years. If they offer anymore than 1 year they rape you with the labor charge. Check your sealed system warranty just in case I am wrong and you are covered for some miraculous reason, before you tap into the system to check pressures. Most likely you are low on refrigerant.

I am not a technician, just handy. I am good with electronics, and can typically multimeter my way through things.

Should I just throw this thing away? If it is low, I would have to buy all of the tools, and YouTube my way through it... is it worth the hassle? I want to say the AC unit was maybe $200-250? I would love to have it working, but not at the expense of $50 in tools $25 in coolant and a lot of frustration. If its simple- alright I will go for it.

Not sure I even have the receipt to be honest.

I agree that it's not worth the effort and money to temporarily fix this 250 dollar unit by charging it. You will have to probably charge it every season .

Thanks for your help, very much appreciated.

I also have a Haier floor standing unit (12k btu) that is showing the same problem. Have not diagnosed it yet, but will go through the same process. If you can point me anywhere for resources for that, let me know! All of a sudden stopped cooling, but it runs like it is. I need it as a dehumidifier, and it runs, but it never generates any water even in a very damp environment. In a multi function unit like that (cool, heat, dehumidify, fan), when all functions stop (it still fans and compressor hums), does it point to anything in particular?

Thanks again!

Chris

If all the fans are running and the compressor is running yet you get no cooling, then it points to a sealed system problem also.