Thread: LDF6920ST LG dishwasher won't wash upper rack, diverter ok

Default LDF6920ST LG dishwasher won't wash upper rack, diverter ok

Model Number: LDF6920ST
    Brand: LG

Hi everyone, glad to be here. Pretty smart when it comes to fixing most anything (mechanic during day) but this LG dishwasher has me stumped. LDF6920ST is the model number. I got this for free off a friend, had a drain error code.

Drain pump tested bad so replaced it and all was good until we ran a normal wash and dishes in upper rack were dirty. Figured ok I missed diverter motor was bad. Tested it, it was fine(26k ohm on meter). Cam on diverter is fine, cam switch is fine.

So put it back together and leave lower spray arm and food filter off so I can watch diverter valve. Hit upper only button, it drains, fills, then impeller runs and diverter valve does a complete 360 back to diverting water to lower arm only. With only one cam switch how does this thing ever aim itself for upper rack wash. What am I missing it's driving me nuts

Update: found a service manual and finally figured out how to do separate tests. Tested upper and lower nozzle(vario) and the diverter valve works great and is aimed for top or bottom rack perfectly depending on which test. Figured it's a fluke, run an upper only wash cycle and again it starts wash diverting water to lower arm. Am I missing something like at beginning of upper only wash it "pre washes" upper rack with lower arm? What a strange machine

Hi,

Here's the parts diagram for your model: LG Dishwasher LDF6920ST

Hopefully another tech. or member can shed some light on this problem.

I would help you, but I don't work on LG or Samsung products because they are designed much different than the Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid models I'm used to working on.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake thank you for the response. Small update, I ran a wash cycle with nothing but a bowl in the upper rack. Half way through the cycle I checked bowl and it was full of water with sediment in the bottom. We have just bought this house and it has a sediment filter so I didn't think anything of it but I'm guessing the filter is bad(bypassing) and coating the dishes with sand and rust. This may have been the problem all along

Jake what is your opinion of LG washers? I'm a big fan of whirlpool products but this just fell in my lap and the bride had to have it because of the stainless front. Durability wise is whirlpool or other brand a superior dishwasher?

We have just bought this house and it has a sediment filter so I didn't think anything of it but I'm guessing the filter is bad(bypassing) and coating the dishes with sand and rust. This may have been the problem all along
    That's possible, if so your good to go.

Jake what is your opinion of LG washers? I'm a big fan of whirlpool products but this just fell in my lap and the bride had to have it because of the stainless front. Durability wise is whirlpool or other brand a superior dishwasher?
    I've owned Whirlpool and Maytag appliances all my life and I'm 53 next month, and not one single problem with any of them.

My current Dishwasher is Maytag, no problems with it at all.

I recommend Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, and Amana.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Changed sediment filter and wife just called pleased as punch dishes are squeaky clean. Well at least I learned a lot for when it breaks in the future. Jake thank you for all the responses, I've fixed appliances in the past and I always seem to see your name come up on forums with help/advice. You're a gentleman and a scholar sir. I raise my cold beverage to you.