Thread: GHW9150PW0 Whirlpool still gives F02 drain error after replacing pump

Default GHW9150PW0 Whirlpool still gives F02 drain error after replacing pump

Model Number: GHW9150PW0
    Brand: Whirlpool

I have a Whirlpool front-loader (GHW9150PW0) that is giving the F02 drain error code. I cleaned the trap, but that did not work. Next, I installed a new drain pump and drain hose, but that did not work either. When the pump runs, I can see water filling the drain hose about half to three-quarters of the way up to the exit point, but it never gets higher and no water will drain. I then laid the drain hose flat and ran another hose outside. The majority of the water did drain, but I still got the F02 error (although the cycle did run for a longer period vs. having the drain hose properly connected). I have not cleaned or replaced the large rubber hose that connects the bottom of the drum to the drain pump, but I donít want to keep taking things apart and buying new parts when Iím just shooting in the dark. Other than this, the washer appears to work normally (fills with water and spins ok). Any ideas?

Hi John,

I'd first remove your tub to drain pump hose and check for a lint clog in it, there is a drain ball in the top of that tub to drain pump hose that prevents water siphon.

Here's your tub to drain pump hose below, Once you click the tub to drain pump hose link there will be a video on how to access/replace that tub to pump hose, so just remove it and check for a lint clog in the top of that hose where your drain ball is at.

There is no need to buy any parts if you find that clogged with lint.

WPW10467168 Hose

Video Included in part link of how to remove and replace it.

Let us know what you find.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake, I think you are correct! I removed the hose and there is 13 years of soap and mineral deposits coating every side. I think I will order a new part, but my current hose looks different from the part you linked in your post. Mine has a lip around the top that kept the ball inside the hose while the image for your part appears to be fully open at the top. Do I need the part with the lip to keep the ball inside, or will the one you suggested work just as well?

That's the correct hose John.

When you click the link to that hose it says: Due to manufacturer changes, the eco ball is no longer required and may be discarded.

So you don't use the ball anymore.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Bad news. I installed the new hose and I still have the same problem. Most of the water will drain, but the F02 error consistently appears with 6 or 7 minutes remaining on the 20-minute rinse and spin cycle. Is there a clogged sensor somewhere that is causing it to think there is still water in the machine? I’m starting to think I need to run to the local Sears and get a new washer during the bankruptcy liquidation sale!

Ok John,

I re-read your 1st post, and I not quite sure what you mean by this:
    When the pump runs, I can see water filling the drain hose about half to three-quarters of the way up to the exit point, but it never gets higher and no water will drain.
    Where's the exit point at? Are you letting the water drain out somewhere else besides your home drain pipe?

Pull the drain hose up from your home drain pipe, then watch the water drain out of the drain hose to see how much water pressure comes out, it should flow out of the drain hose very fast.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

There is a hose that attaches to the pump, runs under the drum, and then clips onto the top inside corner of the machine. From there a second hose is attached on the outside that runs to the drain pipe. I have removed the back panel from the machine and when the drain pump runs I can see the water only gets to three-quarters of the way up the hose on the inside of the machine. So there is zero water pressure going to the drain pipe because the water never makes it that far. Very strange since I have a new pump???

Very strange since I have a new pump???
    If that hose from the water pump up to the top isn't clogged, then you got a bad new water pump, that's the only thing it can be, contact the place where you got it and have them send you another water pump.

Here's the water pump and filter assembly for this model:
    Drain Pump 280187

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Success! A friend at work said it sounded like a pressure problem. He also said there should be a manual taped to the inside of the machine with troubleshooting steps. I didn’t realize what it was and ignored it thinking it was a large warranty sticker. He followed the steps for running a diagnostic and it quit on something like step 6. He read the guide to find all the parts to check under that step and the pressure switch was listed as a possible problem. He replaced a hose and cleaned away the soap build-up and we are back in business. Maybe it will last another 10 years!

Excellent, glad that was all it was.

Thanks for the update!

Here's the pressure switch hose below with a video on how to access it in case others need to do the same.

Hose WPW10004260

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts