Thread: Old 532 Sub-Zero Freezer not working

Default Old 532 Sub-Zero Freezer not working

Model Number: 532
    Brand: Sub Zero

Sub-Zero #532 - 1987.
    Ice maker has not worked in years.
    FREEZER STOPPED COOLING
    Condenser fan working / condenser not super clean but OK. Vacuumed clean.
    Freezer compressor was vibrating normally / same hotness as refrigerator compressor - about as hot as I could keep a hand on.
    Pushing the evaporator fan door button did not turn on the fan in freezer..
    I turned off the Freezer overnight.
    Turned it back on (6) and compressor came on and worked it's way up to same heat.
    This is when I noticed that the refrigerator compressor was vibrating continuous while the freezer compressor had the same vibration but was (I'll call) pulsating. No unusual noise but the vibration when I put a hand on was pulsing - approx. the rate of a heartbeat.
    The evaporator fan now goes on and off when I press the door button.
    No cooling in freezer after 6 hours back on.
    ...I just went to turn it off after 8 hours and the compressor was a little cooler (still hot) and was vibrating normally - not pulsing. Absolutely no cooling.
    I'd like to find out if this is a switch of some kind or some other fix. If the compressor is not good this unit will be considered deceased.

Well the first thing that stands out is that the evap fan was not working but then later it was working. So the possibility of an intermittent fan comes into the equation, so my question is , do you feel any coolness in the freezer around the evaporator ( the box on the ceiling of the freezer that the fan is attached to) ? or is the freezer basically at room temperature or higher throughout the freezer (top to bottom) ?

I THINK there was a little coolness coming from mid freezer where air bows ... but very little. I didn’t check at the top. Out of town until Monday. I’ll check then and report back. Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by talerco View Post
    I THINK there was a little coolness coming from mid freezer where air bows ... but very little. I didn’t check at the top. Out of town until Monday. I’ll check then and report back. Thanks so much.
    Got home. Turned on. After 2 hours the compressor seemed to be running normally, not pulsing - still no cooling. After 4 hours the compressor was (I'll say) running normally but now pulsing. When I push the button the fan comes on and I do think some slightly cool air is coming from the vent at the top. The freezer is basically room temperature - not above, or below - and again, maybe SOME cool air being blown in from vent at top.
    It does seem the freezer compressor is on all the time while the refrigerator compressor (no problem with refrigerator) is on at times and off at others.
    Turned freezer off after 4 hours.
    Any diagnostic help appreciated.
    Last edited by talerco; October 22nd, 2018 at 12:40 AM.