Thread: Viking stove sparking problems

Default Viking stove sparking problems

Model Number: Don't have it
    Brand: other

I have a Viking range 15+ years old. For a while I had spotty ignition of the stove burners, sometimes had to try 2 or 3 times before I got a burner lit. Last week I spilled some soup into the stove, in the area of the spark module, and now it's gone haywire.

No matter which burner I turn on, only the left two burners spark, and then they keep sparking even after the flame is lit. (even if it's one of the left burners that are lit. the right hand burners I now have to light with a long-handled lighter because there is no spark on the right side.) I removed the cover over the spark module, and did a trial and error by moving around the wires heading to the burners. It was always the burners connected to the two righthand spark terminals that were continuously sparking, and the burners connected to the two lefthand terminals would not spark. Thought maybe there was some dried soup gumming it up, but the module and connections look clean. (it was very watery soup)

The sparks for the broiler and the bake function work fine.

Thinking I should just buy a new spark module but is there something else that could be wrong?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Greenpointman; October 20th, 2018 at 09:54 PM.

You posted this several days ago so maybe by now the module has dried out and solved your continuous sparking problem. If not I would replace the spark module. That should solve the current problem (continuous sparking) but may or may not solve the initial problem (spotty ignition). Spotty ignition can be caused by a weak spark module, a problem with the electrode to that burner or by a dirty clogged burner. The burner switch can be a problem too but can be easily eliminated as the culprit by turning on the burner and listening for the sparking sound. If you get the sound then the switch is good.

Thanks for responding. It hasn't started working. I was ready to buy a new spark module but discovered that for my model, VGSC306-4B, the original PA020020 module has now been replaced by PA020041.

Some people report using PA020047, and looks almost identical to the PA020020. So I may try that one first.