Thread: LG LDS5540ST Top Rack cleaning performance Issues

Question LG LDS5540ST Top Rack cleaning performance Issues

Model Number: LDS5540ST
    Brand: LG

Hello all
    My wife and I bought this LG LDS5540ST Two years back shortly after moving into the house
    Its been a wonderful unit until recently.

A while back we noticed the top rack is not cleaning as it should. Bottom Rack was not cleaning so well either but was better than the top after my attempts at fixing bottom has improved but not the top so much

In the 2 years we've had it we have used Cascade Platinum Pods for detergent and have regularly run those bottles of Finish Dishwasher cleaner.

What I have tried so far since seeing decrease in performance
    Cleaned out all the holes in all the spray arms
    Ran a bowl of Vinegar per the Manual which improved things slightly
    Removed the filter assembly from the bottom of the basin and cleaned it in the kitchen sink and though better there does still seem to be deposits on the inside of the filter material.
    Removed and cleaned the impeller (it looked to have some Hair/lint on it Not sure how that would have gotten there)
    Ensured there were no blockages in any of the plastic tubing leading to the upper spray arms

I placed all three spray arms pointing at 12 and 6 Parallel to the sides of the dishwasher and ran it opening in the middle of the cycle to prove they all were spinning which they are.

Also tried running an Afresh Dishwasher cleaning tablet but this caused no change.

Ran the kitchen sink hot before running a load with little change in performance.

I also ran the LG Smart Diagnosis with my smartphone app but of course it didn't help because no error codes are being displayed so it has nothing to report back it just did its little "Song and dance" squealing into my phones microphone and then told me it couldn't find any problems to report.

Dishwasher looks clean, Smells Clean, Seems to fill and drain properly, and all 3 spray arms spin but regardless of loading configuration of top rack items come out with no cleaning.

I found this site through a combination of google and reddit searching and after looking at every page of topics in the dishwasher forum I couldn't find any threads relating directly to this model number.

Any help is appreciated as I would hate to have bought a lemon or to need to replace so soon. Our last dishwasher in our previous home was a Samsung which I loved but in this home we elected to go with LG when we did an overhaul of the kitchen appliances. Now 2 years on from some stuff i read I hear that may have been a bad choice?

Hi,

It sounds like your diverter cam motor stopped working, that will cause full pressure on the bottom spray arm and little to no pressure on the upper spray arm.

Here's the diverter cam motor for your model:
    4681ED3001D Cam Motor

Video Included in part link.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Is there any good way I can test if this is the case before I either call someone in or attempt to replace it?
    I downloaded a service manual for this dishwasher and it does show a test mode one can enter but I didn't do it because I didn't know What to expect when doing so.

it says

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TestModeDW.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	40874

I looked for videos of the test mode in operation so i could know what to expect but couldn't find any.

SInce making my original post I have ran a Glisten Cleaner bottle a type of cleaner I hadn't heard of until this site just to fully verify clenliness but have not had enough dirty dishes to make a full load.

Hopefully that may have helped and I will report back after a load.

My appologies I posted the wrong Test Mode image

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TestModeDW.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	40895

Should be correct

Ok Everyone,
    Ran Two more tests

1 with Gel Detergent instead of the pods I was using because this all began around the time I started using a new container of pods.
    No change

I asked at another site and someone there had asked me if anything had changed with my hot water system and I said "Nothing that should impact the dishwasher, I just turned off the hot side of the upstairs bathroom sink a couple months back after discovering it had a slow leak that I hadn't gotten around to fixing."
    I know that shouldn't affect the dishwasher but as someone in IT i have learned that sometimes its best to eliminate even the most implausible things
    I turned that hot back on and ran the dishes, Bottom rack Fine, Top rack, Not fine. (I even added a few drops of Franks Red hot to the bottom of a glass which was in need of cleaning but not from anything easily seen as a test glass and sure enough it came out with the hot sauce intact.)

There's no way to test it that I'm aware of. It may say how to test it in your tech. data sheet, but I don't have the tech. data sheet for this model.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Hmm Rats, I thought it might be that section of the test mode labeld Vario Valve as I have seen the Diverter motor refered to as the Vario Moter.
    But I didn't run the test mode as I was worried running it without knowing what to expect I might cause further issues.

Would there be any issues I could cause by running said test from the test mode?
    From what limited info is in the test mode section it says my screen should show Up -> Up -> Low If I ran it so I guess if I ran it and didn't see that I would know there was an issue.

Wierd my last post seems to have vanished.

Anyway AppliancePartsPros doesn't seem to ship to Canada which would mean I cannot use them I did find Repareclinic.com who do seem to have shipment to Canada are they any good? or is there somewhere else you would reccommend a canadian.

Would there be any issues I could cause by running said test from the test mode?
    No I wouldn't think so.

From what limited info is in the test mode section it says my screen should show Up -> Up -> Low If I ran it so I guess if I ran it and didn't see that I would know there was an issue.
    That's correct.

Yes, RepairClinic ships to Canada.

4681ED3001D Diverter Motor

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Well I ran through the test modes until I got to that point and it said "UP for quite some time then LO"
    I tried a second time but this time I went quickly to that test mode skipping over doing any of the other tests and it read "Un"
    so I turned it off and Ran some dishes in just the bottom rack which came out all nice and clean so I know I didn't mess anything up

Checking with LG themselves yesterday too via their automatic form on their site proves that A: I am out of warranty and B: They want $239 CAD for an out of warranty service
    Much more than the money I would spend buying a new motor online and DIYing it myself.