Thread: Intermittent issue with defrost timer?

Default Intermittent issue with defrost timer?

Model Number: uncertain
    Brand: Frigidaire

Hello!

This is my first post on this forum after searching for any clues on my issue, i'll try to get it right!

First off, i dont have the fridge at home so i cannot check anything before a few days, neither do i have the model number. All i know is that it's a Frigidaire fridge maybe 4 years old, top freezer.

The issue is that it stops working completely, out of the blue, once every few months. Only light will come on when door is opened, temp will be warm (it's at our cabin so about a week between visits), no compressor or fan running.

First time it happened, back in october, fridge was warm and tons of food scrapped, i tried some web search on how to troubleshoot, checked the thermostat resistance, capacitor, i really did not knew what i was doing haha. But; when i finally checked the defrost timer, which seemed fine, i plugged back everything, and fridge started, and ran fine until the last few days. Same issue (fridge and freezer warm, nothing running/working except light) my brother was there so i asked him to turn the defrost timer and, again, things started working again!

Is it possible that it can randomly get stuck on defrost, like work for weeks at a time and then feel like quitting?

Thanks!

Hi,

Yes, sounds like the defrost timer is sticking in the defrost cycle since your brother can turn the defrost timer and it starts cooling again.

Wait, the first time did you turn the defrost timer too and started cooling again? Or you just unplugged it and plugged it back in?

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

The first time i unplugged the fridge to do some troubleshooting, when i plugged it back in it did not start, even after a few minutes, until i messed with the defrost timer

Ok, got it, then yes It sounds like the defrost timer is the culprit.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts