• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

70051 Kenmore Window AC Making Strange Buzzing Noise

anieves54

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore

My window unit has been making the buzzing noise in the videoI posted for a few days now. Does it sound like it is the compressor? Just need someone to point me into the general direction of what might be wrong with the AC and if I should just replace it. This AC unit is quite old (purchased in 2011) but has always run great every summer. I should add it is not used year round, just from may-september and it still cools despite the noise.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it sounds like something inside the compressor is making it buzz.

If you have it on FAN ONLY does it make that buzz sound?

Jake

anieves54

Premium Member
Nope, it only made that noise when the cooling kicked in. It didn't make that noise every single cooling cycle, it was more on and off. When it was on fan mode it was quiet. Last night it was not making that loud buzzing noise during cooling.

So, what I'm hoping the case was is that the unit froze up after overuse on Sunday (I had it on virtually all day and night starting from Saturday night to Monday morning, and it was a HOT day) causing it to make that heinous buzzing noise.

It was a cooler day on Monday and I did not turn on the AC until night time, it still was making that buzzing noise on and off. Yesterday however was a tad warmer outside and when I turned the AC on at night it did not make that noise during cooling.

So maybe it had more time to defrost, and the warmer weather helped it along if the unit freezing up was the issue?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So maybe it had more time to defrost, and the warmer weather helped it along if the unit freezing up was the issue?
The only way to find out for sure if the evaporator coil in the front was completely frosted up, is to remove the front grille and see.:)

So if it keeps happening, that's what I would do first.

Jake

anieves54

Premium Member
So it’s been over a week, and I’m just now putting my ac on after a few days of not using it and it’s making that noise again. It doesn’t do it every single cooling cycle but when it does it is LOUD. So you were probably right, it is the compressor. Is this a serious issue, meaning do I need to replace the unit entirely? Is there any way I can reduce the noise till I replace it?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you'd need to buy a new air conditioner.

Is there any way I can reduce the noise till I replace it?
Unfortunately, not that I'm aware of.

Jake