• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake

709.8037 Kenmore Elite Microwave, blows circuit breaker, seen a flash from the transformer some time back, still worked a while.

Truthabounds

Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2019
Messages
1
Location
Soldotna Alaska
Model Number
709.8037
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Age
1-5 years
Bought on Jan. 5 2017 paid more than $550, seldom used. I have learned a lesson here, as we see more and more lack of reliability, one has to wonder why sales agents push these service contracts. I thought back when the internet was formed, consumers would become empowered, NOT! Once we eliminate the Marketing swamp in Washington DC, the Poor product Marketing Lobbyist, anti consumer protectionist programs, endorsement price hikes and the likes, consumers can organize to boycott bad products and their companies.
The door interlocks are fine! I'm an instrument Tech and opened the unit to see indications of a problem, no sign! Seen the on-board fuse with no way to get at it easily, one would think it would blow first, NOT! Unplugged the magnetron, Closed the door, reset the time and pushed 30 second, blew the breaker, I'll call this action 'TEST bad'. Next pulled the two wire single spade connector to the transformer, TEST bad.
Next pulled the relay 2 and 4 connector at control panel, TEST bad. Next cut the Turn table TT motor wire, TEST-comes on fine, smile! Reconnect all but the TT, TEST bad. Hum? Unplugged relay 4, TEST-comes on, test with water, no heated up, makes sense. Took unit from the wall, was unsure how and took off the bottom tray with three motor connectors, found to be unnecessary, 3 large screws were at the top, tilts out, lift up and free. Set to floor on side laid door open to floor and put the tray back on, stepped over the door and my cuff caught one of the door permissive levers and broke it off, what the hell! missing a screw now too. The unit is oily too, typically from exhausting cooking fumes. Sears price for a transformer $350 as low as $75 on eBay. But maybe the magnetron or other items compromised the transformer, where to stop or start buying parts and how to remember to put this all back together, one would need factory training, test equipment and spare parts to test with. This is crazy for the consumer!!
I'll take this out to the shop set on a carpeted table and tear into it more. It may eventually become a test parts junk pile but at age 63 how many times might I ever have this situation again? All thoughts are welcome.
 

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
33,425
Location
Murray, Utah 84107, United States
First, recheck your model number. Nothing comes up with that one. When frustrated appliance owners write a post it, rarely makes a lot of sense. Besides venting your frustration about the microwave, what's your question? Are you just making a statement?
 
Top