Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FFVU17F4QWA Convertible Freezer/Refrigerator only Freezes

Default FFVU17F4QWA Convertible Freezer/Refrigerator only Freezes

Model Number: FFVU17F4QWA
    Brand: Frigidaire

My convertible Freezer/Refrigerator was operating in freezer mode. It was set to the coldest setting which is Freezer 3. I noticed a lot of ice inside so I decided to defrost. When I took everything out I realized the drain was frozen over. So I turned the unit off and left the door open. I could hear ice falling off the coils so I know it must have been frozen up. Ice was even inside the door, Must be because it was operating in a damp basement. Once all the ice cleared from the drain I wanted to operate in Refrigerator mode. Upon turning the unit on the compressor won't kick in until I set the temperature to Freezer 2 (the second highest setting). I don't want to freeze my food so I set it back to refrigerator 3 and don't hear the compressor running. I left it overnight and put a thermometer inside. In the morning the thermometer read 43. I had put a few ice packs and cool beverages in the night before to help the unit cool down. I would think at the highest refrigerator mode the temp should be lower than 43.

My thoughts are this:
    1) The temperature sensor is broken and does not read temperature right.
    2) There may be ice behind the panel cooling the temp sensor into thinking it is cooler than it really is.

I have not yet taken off the inside back panel of the unit yet to inspect. I plan to leave it on and not open it much and check the temp every few hours.

Any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot?

You possibly have a auto-defrost part that is bad.

Pull the freezer out from the wall, then you will see the defrost timer at the bottom, turn it clockwise slowly till you hear a loud click then stop turning it, it will now be in the defrost cycle.

Here is the defrost timer for your model:
    5304518034 Timer

Once its in the defrost cycle feel for heat at the bottom of your lower back panel inside the freezer. Leave it in the defrost cycle, it will automatically come out of the defrost cycle in about 30 minutes and the compressor and fan should start running again.

Let us know what you find.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thanks for the suggestion. I rotated the switch until I heard the loud click. The panel inside is cold to the touch. I will try replacing the switch. Is there a way to bypass the auto defrost so I can run the unit until the part comes in?

Wait, did you give it 30 minutes to see if it would heat up that panel?

After 30 minutes when it kicked out of the defrost cycle, did everything start running again?

Is there a way to bypass the auto defrost so I can run the unit until the part comes in?
    No, unless it never came out of the defrost cycle, if that's the case yes you can, just turn the defrost timer again slowly and it should kick out of the defrost cycle, when it kicks out of the defrost cycle stop turning the defrost timer.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

I did not wait 30 minutes to check the panel temp. I waited maybe 3-5 minutes. I have 2 units, one operates as refrigerator and one operates as freezer. I tried the defrost timer on both units and noticed the same effect. I will try again in a few hrs. Since I have 2 units I removed and switched the defrost timers and the unit that was misbehaving still seems to be acting the same ( Compressor only kicks on at highest freezer temperature.) But the internal temperature is around 34 , so maybe it will take longer to kick on. I will leave both units on overnight and see what temperatures they regulate to.

Ok, yes keep us posted.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

I switched the defrost switches between the unit that works and the unit that does not. The questionable unit still does not function properly. Compressor will only come on when temperature is set to the coldest freezer setting. While both compressors were running I manually engaged the defrost timer. The panel on the functioning unit was getting warm while the panel on the broken unit did not get warm. I believe the switches work but to prove it I would have to switch them back and try it on the functioning unit.

Looking at the wiring diagram I see the defrost switch gets its power from the electronic control module. I could check the voltage at the connector to the defrost switch but since the temperature control does not seem to work either I believe the failed part is the electronic control module or the voltage feeding it. I suppose I could switch these between the 2 units but since it requires the inside panel to come off I would have to empty a freezer full of stuff and find a place to store it while I troubleshoot.

297252101.pdf

Ok,

So, you switched the defrost thermostat and heater assembly from the other one to your bad one and still does not heat?

I don't see the electronic control module for this model.

Here's the parts diagram and parts list for your model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gJ...ChsTM-ZqJMgY8Y

Can you see it either?

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

I am thinking the control module is either item 21 or item 30. I think my only option is to figure out how to swap parts between units until I find the bad part. I should be able to figure out the part by removing the panel and comparing the colored wires going into the part to the wiring diagram.

Yes but #21 is a mechanical temperature control, not electronic module.

They call #21 the ambient thermostat in the wiring diagram.

Here is #21:
    Control,temperature

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast