Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PSS29NGNABB Help water dispenser trouble and now not cooling properly

Still don't know why the pic is sideways.

Anyway, I am also confused. I was trying to replace that little black capacitor that is directly under where my water line broke.
    another place said "This part helps the compressor kick on and off while maintaining a constant temperature to keep things frozen in your freezer."

Having probably gotten wet, I hoped that was the problem.

I think I may have to give up and buy a new one--Unfortunately, I have a kid graduating college and have to leave town this weekend, have a pet sitter coming to stay at the house so I feel like I need a fridge for her.

It's likely that the parts you refer to also got wet. Maybe that's the trouble. I hadn't pried that black cover off to look in there yet.

Thanks again. I really do appreciate it and I enjoy learning about this stuff. Wish I had more time to play with it and wait for parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frig.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	43176  

another place said "This part helps the compressor kick on and off while maintaining a constant temperature to keep things frozen in your freezer."
    That's false, The capacitor on your model is just a run capacitor, not a start capacitor, so that's not the problem.

PTC RELAY WITH RUN CAPACITOR
    When the compressor circuit is first energized the solid state relay has low resistance 3-12 ohms and both run and start windings are energized to start the compressor. The run capacitor is bypassed by the relay. When the self-heating solid state relay has reached temperature it will change from low resistance 3-12 ohms to high resistance 10k-20k ohms and switches off the start windings. The only purpose of the run capacitor is to improve compressor operating efficiency.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Well shoot. That's what I get for believing a parts supply site. I tried to test the relay, I got a zero reading but not entirely sure I did it right.

sigh. Any recommendations on buying a new one?

This one hasn't been bad, 16 years is a while. I have a 27 year old fridge in my garage that lives in 100+ degree heat and is still cranking....

Ok,

Unplug your refrigerator and remove it again so we can ohm test it, put your multimeter probes in the 2 parallel holes(on the backside of it where it mounts into the 2 parallel holes of the compressor pins) and it should read 12 ohms or less.

(click to enlarge)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ptc relay start device.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	43180

Look at the RTC/PTC at the bottom right side where it says 3-26 ohms.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Yes, I'm sure I didn't do that right. I could not get the relay out, so I was trying to test it while it was still attached to the compressor.

I've put everything back and will be ordering a new fridge tonight. I contacted a local repairman, explained it all to him and he recommended new. Because in addition to whatever the problem is, I screwed up the electrical connection of that capacitor

I really wish I had time to work this through but I'm in a time bind and have to have a working unit by Friday afternoon. I've already put the back on the fridge in the event I have to move it out for the new one. Looking at a Whirlpool and hope it's not a bad choice. My options are limited because I have black appliances and Lowe's is mainly stocking stainless now.

Thank you again so much for your time and patience.

I understand, 16 years is very good.

Yes, I have owned and still own ONLY Whirlpool and Maytag products, including a Kenmore(model number starting with 106) refrigerator made by Whirlpool.

When I moved from Oregon to Arizona in 2014 I needed a new refrigerator myself and went to Sears and got this Kenmore 106 made by Whirlpool: Kenmore 21 cu. ft. Side-by-Side Refrigerator

The summers here stay well above 100 everyday and its not uncommon to get temps 110-120 for a few weeks in the summer as well, and mine never misses a beat, Ice maker keeps up too, works like a champ!

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Can't remember if I told you I have an Amana that is 27 years old, has moved all over the country, lives in a detached garage in the Central Texas heat.

I'll be darned if that thing keeps chugging along. It ain't pretty but it keeps our drinks cold!!!

Thank you again for all your help. You've been amazing!

Yes, 27 years old is very good, Amana made them very strong back then.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12