Thread: JMC1116 Jenn-Air Microwave shuts down rather randomly, happens when a lot of steam in oven

Thumbs down JMC1116 Jenn-Air Microwave shuts down rather randomly, happens when a lot of steam in oven

Model Number: JMC1116
    Brand: Jenn-Air

I think title says it all. When cooking various plates, especially if a prolonged cooking time, greater than couple minutes (but not necessarily on high power) the unit will completely shut down. This has also happened using a preset menu. The display will go dark, like there is no power. Opening the door and usually there is a lot of steam in the oven. Unit will come back after sitting for 1/2 - 1 hour (or more), display will come back.

I tried unplugging unit but that does not seem to decrease the time unit must sit to recover. Is there a sensor that has gone over active, or the board that the sensor plugs into decidedly over ambitious in completely shutting the unit off. This is a real pain when my wife has a few friends over for game night, and all the ladies have a dish that needs heating, after the unit turns off, no one else can heat their dish.

It wouldn't be so bad if the unit just stopped cooking and you could just blow out the oven to remove the steam, but the display going out says some board is shutting the whole unit off. When the unit stays plugged in, when it comes back to life the clock needs to be reset.
    Last edited by Jake; May 16th, 2019 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Corrected Age

Hi,

You posted the Age as Less than 1 year old, is that correct? If so you have a full 1 year warranty on it from Jenn-Air.

1-800-JENNAIR (1-800-536-6247)

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Sorry about the age specification, Its beyond the 1 year warranty. I wanted to note that it was nowhere near 5 years old. I seemly can't find receipt (odd as we have a folder for major appliance receipts). I just talked to store where I bought it, and that was January 2018, so its out of warranty.

So can you help me diagnose this? Is there a board I can replace?

I just talked to store where I bought it, and that was January 2018, so its out of warranty.
    Got it!

Yes, it sounds like the control board is bad.

But the control board is not listed on the parts diagram, which is very odd.

Unplug the microwave and remove the control board and see if there is a part number on it.

If so, post it here.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Sorry for the delay.

There are two boards. The first 2.5 x 6 inches is right behind the keypad/display. It looks like the display is mounted directly to this board and a ribbon cable to the keypad.

It is silk screened and marked Midea VER:M1.31 , below that, 2016-12-19, which is probably the date. Off to the right: MD1001LB

Please see uploaded close up image of the top of this controller board, and an image of the overall board. I can probably get a better image if I remove all connectors and/or remove the board.

On the bottom, E173873. There is a sloppy ink stamp 11711157 which is probably the serial number.

There is a second board, ~ 1.5 x 2.5 inches, where both the incoming ~AC lines come into, and its output feeds the other components (load to looks like thermal switches and door switch in series, neutral to above board, I haven't done a complete wire trace). It just has a fuse, couple capacitors and a small torrid transformer. It seems to be a filter (either for spikes on the line, or to reduce noise to other items on the AC circuit.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0848.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	231.9 KB 
ID:	43218   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0850.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	241.8 KB 
ID:	43219  

Nope, those are not the part numbers I need.

You'll likely need to take the microwave to a Jenn-Air service center where they can fix it for you. Contact Jenn-Air and ask them where to take it to for repair.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts