• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake

721.62360200 Sounds from a failing microwave

Hucklle

Premium Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2017
Messages
2
Location
South Carolina
Model Number
721.62360200
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Age
More than 10 years
For about a week now when our Kenmore Elite microwave is starting up it sounds like it's having trouble in beginning cooking. Light dims inside the microwave with extra sounds that weren't there before. We are fearful that are great microwave is soon to fail. What can we do or what can be replaced to prevent it from being more costly. After the microwave has been running for 5 seconds it cooks as normal with no extra sounds and continues to heat as it always has. It's the best microwave we've ever had and just want to know if it's worth fixing. It is a Kenmore Elite ultra-wave technology model number 721.62360200 manufactured September 2002.
 

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
34,730
Location
Murray, Utah 84107, United States
Most likely the magnetron tube is failing and that's the noise you hear when it starts. The mag tube is no longer available. Use it until it dies then buy a new one.
 

Hucklle

Premium Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2017
Messages
2
Location
South Carolina
Rick thanks for replying so soon I appreciate the input and it is what I feared. Have a good one thanks for the input.
 

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
34,730
Location
Murray, Utah 84107, United States
Anytime! It may take a while before it goes out completely. We had one like that in the shop that lasted almost two more years.
 
Top