• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

721.62643200 Kenmore Microwave is not working properly

LisaCB

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My Kenmore Microwave is not working properly.
When I press 1 - (for one minute on high), the display and machine automatically goes to 2 minutes. It will not allow me to actually select and use the 1. I have found a "workaround" for this as the unit has an "Add Minute" when cooking. So, I can use this if I want to cook something for one minute on High.
Another problem is that I can no longer use the various Power Levels. I can program 3 minutes on Power Level 8 but the machine will run 3 minutes on Power Level 100. The unit will not cook on any power level except 100%.
It does still work with the pre-set buttons. For example, it will cook Popcorn for the pre determined amount of time. Lights work, turntable works. Fan for vents work.
Although I have been able to find some work around solutions, I would like to have all of the "issues" and the unit fixed - any thoughts?
Thank You,
Lisa

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Smart board and key panal issues......both parts are coming up as NLA now = happy shopping time for a new microwave.

....and before you ask, NLA is No Longer Available.

jeff.

LisaCB

Premium Member
Thanks Jeff. Not really what I wanted to hear but it is what it is. Now I just need to find one that is as nice as the one that no longer works properly. I appreciate your help.
Lisa