• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

FIXED 721.69129010 Burning smell. Dead

Vintage

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
October 2012
Serial 210TA01356

Burning electrical smell. Then it worked four times at 8 minutes each to heat milk for yoghurt making. Then disinfected two dish cloths at 1 minute each. Then it was completely dead— no light inside, no clock, didn't run. Five minutes later I noticed the ":" only was on for the clock. I warmed up a cup of coffee for one minute and it worked fine. I took it out and now it has been completely dead— no interior light, no clock LED, doesn't run. Repairable?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Sometimes one of the wires going to a thermostat or fuse board inside would loosen and melt causing similier issues. I'd check for that for sure. Check the plug and wall outlet as well. Outer shell will come off to inspect ( power off first ).

jeff.

Vintage

Premium Member
Thanks. Yes, I had checked the outlet. Everything inside looks fine, except possibly this one connector on top. Is this normal?
IMG_8701.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Jeff may have missed you last posts.

Click on his name then a popup box will open, then click Private Message to refer him back to your thread here.

Jake

Vintage

Premium Member
It is working at the moment, so I wouldn't be able to check that. The past two days it was worked a bit, then not, and now working again. Does that point toward anything?

Vintage

Premium Member
It has continued to work for a bit then shut off. Since yesterday it happens almost every time we use it. It generally dies just after it finishes running, the LED screen goes dark, the light inside is not on when the door is open and it does not run. Then about an hour later we will hear a beep sound and the semi-colon is lit on the screen and all is well. Clues?

jeff1

Staff member
Did you repair the wire and thermostat?

It generally dies just after it finishes running, the LED screen goes dark, the light inside is not on when the door is open and it does not run. Then about an hour later we will hear a beep sound and the semi-colon is lit on the screen and all is well.
Did you repair the wire and thermostat?
I have also seen fuse heat up and quit....cool down and reworks.
I have also seen fuse holders heat up and quit....cool down and reworks.

jeff.

Vintage

Premium Member
It works when I use a wire to bypass the thermostat. What would cause the connector to melt like that (pic above)?

Vintage

Premium Member
Is this thermostat used to somehow measure the temperature of the food and then help regulate the running time, or is it a safety feature. In other words, is it okay to bypass it?

jeff1

Staff member
is it okay to bypass it?
No.

Is this thermostat used to somehow measure the temperature of the food
No.

or is it a safety feature.
Yes.

It works when I use a wire to bypass the thermostat.
Then that would have to be addressed for sure!

What would cause the connector to melt like that
A loose connection. It gets hot and hotter until it burns off.

jeff.

Vintage

Premium Member
Getting that wretched burned wire smell again, but it hasn't stopped working like five months ago before I replaced the thermostat. I took off the cover and am not seeing anything brown or melted. Suggestions?

jeff1

Staff member
If you can't see any burnt or bad connectors....let it go until something quits.
You checked all door switches, all thermostats, board connections, magnetron connections, power cord, etc?

jeff.

Vintage

Premium Member
Okay, I will keep going. I may try it with the cover off. Maybe I can locate the source easier.

Vintage

Premium Member
The connector with the black and brown wires started melting when I tried heating a cup of coffee. Suggestions?
IMG_8703.jpg

jeff1

Staff member
That is the 120 volt input for the transformer.....good catch! New wire terminal time and cut off the old burnt one.

jeff.