• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 721.80823500 Kenmore Microwave Vent fan won't turn off

nola mike

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
After boiling water, the vent fan on the microwave won't shut off. Stays on high. Unplugging it and then plugging it back in, the fan starts up again after 15 seconds or so. Heating works fine, control panel works fine. I bought 5016 in the diagram (part 6930W1A003R), which I thought would be a normally open stat, but the replacement is closed as well. Is it supposed to be? Anything else I should be looking at?
50026831-00006.png

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

nola mike

Premium Member
Yeah, Kenmore, sorry. I was looking at Microwave Thermal Cut-Off 6930W1A003R

Looking at the wiring diagram though, seems that that may be the oven thermostat? Any other possibilities besides the board?
Any way to test it?

nola mike

Premium Member
I was thinking it was a normally open stat that would turn on the fan if it got hot, but maybe it's for the convection oven function. There's another stat behind the board at the magnetron. So... Does that leave me with the board? And again, any way to test it?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I was thinking it was a normally open stat that would turn on the fan if it got hot

That would be on the bottom near the cooktop below....but that is what I could not find on the parts breakdown.
I'd check to see if anything is in the microwave since the parts breakdown could be missing stuff or wrong.

jeff.

nola mike

Premium Member
Yeah. Was hoping it was a stat. I hate stupid electronics. Nothing else it could be, right?

nola mike

Premium Member
Wiring looked ok, and that should make it turn on immediately after plugging in. There's a 15-30 sec delay before the fan turns on

nola mike

Premium Member
Well, that was it. Working now. Only $80, and hours of troubleshooting and disassembly. Totally worth it to fix a 10+ year old appliance rather than buy a new one for $200, right? Right?

nola mike

Premium Member
Unfortunately, it appears that the flex cable from the keypad ended up with broken trace after the repair...so I no longer have #1-8 on the keypad. Which is a bummer. Good news is it took me 2 weeks to notice, since 95% of the time the only button I use on the thing is "add 30 seconds". Looks like new key pads are NLA. Guess I'll keep an eye out on ebay...