FIXED 790.42003602 Kenmore Pro Double Oven-Is it the Relay Board?

BuckUKFL

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello

We inherited a Kenmore Pro double oven when we moved into our house three years ago. The upper oven has always been temperamental, cutting out when it chose to do so, and changing temperature randomly.

We gave up using the upper oven early on as the lower one was more reliable, but now neither oven will heat at all.

There have been no errors in the display at any stage. I've replaced the main control board and thermal sensors in both ovens this past week in the hopes this would fix the problem, but there's no change in behavior. The oven has power and operates in the various modes, with no errors and no heat.

I've checked the terminal block and tested the continuity on the thermal cut-outs and that all tests out fine. I also went through the calibration procedure multiple times to ensure that wasn't the problem.

I've been trying to isolate whether the issue is actually the control relay board before spending more money on this unit.

I wanted to ask here in the forum if anyone knew whether an extremely low voltage reading across a given oven's line ins on the relay board would point to a failed board. I'm getting 5.6v across the line ins for either oven when powered on in bake mode at 300º.

Hopefully someone here has encountered this particular issue before.

Thanks in advance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Did you do a voltage test at the terminal block where your power cord connects to?

You'll need to pull the oven out from the wall(These are very heavy, I'd suggest someone help you pull it out from the wall) and look for any burnt wire connections after you remove the back access panel to your range. Also you will need a multimeter to check the voltage to the range at the terminal block.

Here's the terminal block for your model below, its where the power cord connects to your range. Use the multimeter to check for 120 volts from the CENTER(Neutral) to the LEFT(Hot), and CENTER to the RIGHT(Hot) should also be 120 volts.

Then put your meter leads on the LEFT and RIGHT terminals on the terminal block and you should have 240 volts.

Here's the terminal block for your model:
Terminal Block 5304409888

If you have 240 Volts AC going into the relay board but not coming out when set to bake or broil, the relay board needs to be replaced.

Here's the relay board for your model:
316443910 Board

Let us know what you find

Jake

BuckUKFL

Premium Member
Hi Jake

Thanks for the reply and feedback.

I ordered the relay board from Appliance Parts Pro and it arrived today.

I installed it and both ovens are now working, but they seem to be having difficulty getting to high temperatures.

Is there any guidance on how long it should take my ovens to get to 450-500º?

And if they are taking an excessively long time, is this because the elements are failing?

The oven was manufactured in 2006.

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I installed it and both ovens are now working
Sounds good Buck.:)

but they seem to be having difficulty getting to high temperatures.
How many minutes is it taking?

For 350 degrees normal is about 15 to 20 minutes.

Jake

BuckUKFL

Premium Member
Hi Jake

Thanks for the follow up.

It's taking between 20-30 minutes to get to 400º and the upper oven won't go above that.

Also, the upper oven is noticeably slower than the lower one to preheat.

Is it possible that the convection element is used during normal preheat operations?

If this has failed on the upper oven, would this would cause the marked preheat slowness in that unit?

Thanks again.

Buck

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Buck,

This is how it works:

Baking mode
First rise (preheat): Bake element is on 25 seconds per minute. Broil element is on 15 seconds per minute.
Convection element is on 20 seconds per minute. The convection fan is on all the time but it stops once the set temperature has been reached.

Convection Bake modes
First rise (preheat): Bake element is on 20 seconds per minute. Broil element is on 20 seconds per minute.
Convection element is on 20 seconds per minute and convection fan is on all the time.
Convection baking: 3 elements (bake, broil, convection) will cycle and the fan is used all the time.

OVEN CALIBRATION
Set the electronic oven control for normal baking at 350°F. Obtain an average oven temperature after a minimum of 5 cycles.
The oven calibration can be modified using the oven control display. Please refer to the Owner's Guide manual.
Note: Changing calibration affects all the cooking modes but not the clean and the broil modes.

Have you done the calibration?

Jake

BuckUKFL

Premium Member
Hi Jake

Sorry for the delay but I've been travelling internationally and am responding to your latest post from London, U.K.

Yes, I went through the calibration procedure for both ovens twice for good measure.

Interestingly, just before I left earlier this week, both ovens started working as they should and coming to temperature much faster, even up to 450-550º.

It's almost as if the new boards needed some time to 'bed down' before working correctly.

I'm not sure how else to explain it, but everything's good right now for both ovens and hopefully it will stay that way.

Thanks again for all the help, and here's hoping we have some functional ovens for the next couple of years...

Buck

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Buck, glad to hear that.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake