• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

790.42003604 Kenmore Pro Double Oven cuts the heating power off and then right back on

Cuatro

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore

i have a double oven and for years it has worked but will beep and seems to cut the heating power off and then right back on. I have head about different issues with them but need guidance on how to test it so i can order the proper parts. We have had it looked at while new and under warranty and after that by out local repair guy. There has to a part that is not working correctly and it should be cheaper than replacing these ovens. Direction and help is needed, thanks

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
... will beep and seems to cut the heating power off and then right back on.
You had it looked at twice for the same issue? What was done? An intermittent problem is like that is going to be very difficult to find. Everything is going to test good unless you catch it when the problem occurs. Even then it sounds like problem happens too quick to test anything.

The first thing you should do is check all the connectors and look for any pinched or almost broken wires. Disconnect and then reconnect all the connectors and make sure they are on tight. I think it would be safe to say there's a voltage drop that's causing the problem. You said it "seems" to cut the power to the elements. Because the indicator went off and back on? A voltage drop like that can be caused by almost anything. There's a safety thermostat on the back, plus the display board, the main control board, the relay board and even the oven sensor could cause the problem.

If the display doesn't go blank when this happens it's most likely OK. What you'll need to do is pull the oven out of its installation and connect your meter to the different components one at a time, wait for the problem to occur and search for the voltage drop.

Cuatro

Premium Member
I think we replaced a control board, had the guy baffled, good repair guy too. Look at the short video and you can see what it does.

rickgburton

Staff member
When the temperature goes off do you lose voltage to the element? Does this happen only when it reaches temperature?

Cuatro

Premium Member
I think it will do it on both ovens, top and bottom, both while gaing tempture and once at tempture. Not sure hot to test if i lose voltage when it happens, it sounds like a relay will kick in and send a higher voltage, like it is loading up so to speak. How should i go about testing it out?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick I found a post where you helped another member with this similar problem, look here:
Looks like he may need the same analog board, his model uses the exact same analog board.:)

Also look here:

This is the same potentiometer that has been giving others problems too:
318601500 Control

Jake

Cuatro

Premium Member
I am not sure, i will try to reach the repair guy and see if he has records of which board it was. How can you test for the analog board?

rickgburton

Staff member
How can you test for the analog board?
During preheat the bake element is on 25 seconds per minute, the broil element is on 15 seconds per minute and the convection element is on 20 seconds per minute. The only thing you can conclude right now is the display beeps and the temperature goes off. When that happens are the elements still getting the correct voltage?