• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 790.48083000 Kenmore Electric Wall Oven Heats Up to Set Temp. but Will Not Maintain

batman71

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
In bake mode, oven heats up to the set temperature but then slowly cools down.
Today I set it for 300° and it reached that in what I would consider a normal amount of time. After that, the oven continually cycled from 30 seconds with the lower (bake) element energized, then about one second with the top (broiler) element energized and then 30 seconds with neither element on. It repeated this sequence continually with the temperature slowly declining all the while. After about 15-20 minutes the temperature was down to about 220°.
The broiler element is working as is the convection element. Since the bake element is located under the bottom of the oven compartment, I am not able to verify that it is working.

I concluded that the sensor works fine since it cuts off the heating once it reaches the set temperature. My suspicion is that I need a new control board. However, before buying this part, I am wanting to know if there is any way to check out the bake element without pulling the oven out of the cabinet since that is the only way to gain access.

I also noticed that during pre-heat, the unit cycled between all three heating elements. My understanding is that pre-heat should be handled by the bake element alone. Could this suggest that the bake element is not even functioning and the controls are calling on the other two elements to get up to the set temperature? It seemed like the temp was only rising in the pre-heat mode while the broil or convection elements were on although it is a bit hard to conclude that was the case.

Added complete model number

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I need the rest of your model number. Check the bake element for continuity between P1 and P9 on the main control board.

batman71

Premium Member
I need the rest of your model number. Check the bake element for continuity between P1 and P9 on the main control board.
Model No. 790.48083000
Can you confirm that it is necessary to uninstall the oven in order to access the bake element terminals. If so, may need to wait until I am no longer isolated so that I have help lifting unit out from wall cabinet.

rickgburton

Staff member

rickgburton

Staff member
It had the reply I made earlier. You asked if you had to uninstall the machine to check the bake element. I told you you can check the bake element at the control board P1 and P9

batman71

Premium Member
Yes, I read that. I was looking for an answer to the question I posed in my earlier post. That is "How do I access the control board without removing the oven from the wall??" Everything else I have read says that you cannot access without removing the oven from the wall. THAT is what I am asking you to either confirm OR contradict.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
You need to slide it out about 6" so you can remove the top panel and the control is right there.

rickgburton

Staff member

batman71

Premium Member
Thanks.
searspartdirect.com has it in stock at a price comparable to the others who are out of stock